Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oly..289, Nikon..140--Panny 388, Nikon..275.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oly..289, Nikon..140--Panny 388, Nikon..275.

Are we being ripped-off do you think?

I ordered an Oly 25 f1.8 last night, realised how relatively expensive it was and rapidly cancelled it.
    I do have the 12-40 Pro anyhow.

These are WEX prices for comparison, although the lenses can be had slightly cheaper elsewhere.

Oly 25mm f1.8.......

D500 / 35 f1.8 / 50 f1.8 /16-80 / 70-300
    e-m10 mk2 + P12-32 and PL 25 f1.4

Comment

Originally posted by Dave in Wales View Post
      Are we being ripped-off do you think?

I ordered an Oly 25 f1.8 last night, realised how relatively expensive it was and rapidly cancelled it.
      I do have the 12-40 Pro anyhow.

These are WEX prices for comparison, although the lenses can be had slightly cheaper elsewhere.

Oly 25mm f1.8.......
      At first glance the m43 equivalents do seem expensive compared to the Nikon and Canon 50mm lenses. However, bear in mind that the 50s are based on legacy lenses from these two manufactures and therefore don't have the development costs of Olympus and Panasonic. Also I am sure they sell in far greater numbers.

What you should be considering is why you want a 25mm when you already have a 12-40mm? Is the zoom too big or heavy? Is it failing to deliver the IQ you expect? Or are you seriously considering paying the best part of 300 quid for 1.3 stops more light and a little thinner DOF?

If shallow DOF is the main reason it may be better to consider the 45mm f1.8. I know this is not the focal length you are considering, but it is one that isn't quite covered by your 12-40mm, it's more effective at controlling DOF than the 25mm and it is considerably cheaper, especially second hand.

If you are serious about maximum light gathering with minimal DOF and you really have too much money burning a hole in your pocket, consider the Panasonic (sorry, Leica) 42.5mm f1.2 - oh what a lens!
      John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Graham

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...

Comment

Comment

Paul
            E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
            flickr
            Portfolio Site
            Instagram

Comment

Comment

Working...
              X