Wouldn't a drop of superglue fix that?

Steve
    Old divers never die, they just go down on old wrecks
    Take nothing but photographs, leave nothing but bubbles
    My website

Comment

Comment

Re: 60mm f2.8mm cracked plastic

Bit of Araldite would do the job, I bought a broken lens before and glued it up
        No idea about the weatherproofing though, but what's the worst that can happen?
        How much do you want for it like that David?

Comment

It's difficult to tell from your shot but I'd have thought the camera would be fine if the rear lens and bayonet are still sealed and intact. Definitely worth trying to glue it. If it doesn't work then you've still got until Monday to get a new one cheap.
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/flip_photo_flickr/

Comment

It should be glueable! I would have thought, unless there's a little bit missing? The ridges don't look like they'd line back up properly?
            Junk on Flickr
            Even more Junk on Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by chris View Post
              It should be glueable! I would have thought, unless there's a little bit missing? The ridges don't look like they'd line back up properly?
              The ridges don't align because I pulled the broken edges of the ring apart to show it's snapped right through, plus expose the seal below the end pushed back.

There us also a small triangular piece of plastic missing from the edge of the break that may parmit ingress of water into the lens unless it is filled accurately, and unless that ring is glued together exactly as it was originally the seal against the camera will be out of alignment as it's the plastic ring that holds in in place. And if the ring is just ever so slighty too snug a fit to enure a seal, it could snap again the next time it's removed ftom a camera.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidB View Post
                The ridges don't align because I pulled the broken edges of the ring apart to show it's snapped right through, plus expose the seal below the end pushed back.

There us also a small triangular piece of plastic missing from the edge of the break that may parmit ingress of water into the lens unless it is filled accurately, and unless that ring is glued together exactly as it was originally the seal against the camera will be out of alignment as it's the plastic ring that holds in in place. And if the ring is just ever so slighty too snug a fit to enure a seal, it could snap again the next time it's removed ftom a camera.
                If you do decide to replace it David let me know please
                This is exactly the sort of thing I like messing about with and happy to pay you for it
                Modified and glued a lens together last year that had been dropped
                Thanks

Comment

Comment

Another image, mounted on body and showing ring being pushed away from camera mount as the sealing ring is pressed against it. Any adhesive repair would need to be strong enough to prevent that happening whenever mounted on a camera.

Comment

Looking at that last image a new ring and probably a new seal to be sure would be the best way to go if the repair wasn't too expensive. Depending on the price of the new bits from Olympus it might cost more than that 30mm lens. Luton would be my go to place to do the repair though they have done some great work for me in the past.
                      http://www.flickr.com/photos/flip_photo_flickr/

Comment

For an adhesive repair, the edges to be stuck back together are only about 0.75mm thick.

Comment

Even if I got some adhesive underneath/between the crack, I would forever doubt if the weathersealing was no longer effective, or there's an underlying problem causing that rear plastic rear to catch on the camera mount and tear apart.
                          Although it should be relatively easy to repair with carefully applied epoxy adhesive you may always have a nagging doubt, in which case the only options are Luton or a replacement lens. Good luck

Jax

Comment

I assume it must be out of warranty by now, but have you phoned Olympus to see if it's one of the lenses where they offer a fixed price repair?
                            Best Regards
                            Bill

The nearest I have to a home page.
                            http://www.flickr.com/photos/peak4/
                            They're Watching You!

Comment

Does anybody have both the 30 and 60?
                              I bought a 30mm macro from SRS on Tuesday. They seemed to have plenty in stock (I walked in - it's only 20 mins from me). It looks like it's going to be quite useful.

Jim

Comment

Working...
                              X