EC-20 and 50-200 SWD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: EC-20 and 50-200 SWD

These are some of the very best pictures I have ever seen with that combo, brilliant shots well done Katran. To take pictures like this does not always come easy and I wonder whether these are the result of your perseverance and developed skill or good matching of E system components?

Thanks for showing.
    John
    John

OM-D E-M1, 12-40 f2.8 Pro, Tamron 14-150mm f5.8, E5, E3, Zuiko 50-200mm SWD, Zuiko 12-60mm SWD, Zuiko ED 70-300mm f5.6, 50mmf2, Zuiko ED 9-18mm f5.6, Sigma 50-500mm f6.3, EC14, EC20, RM-1, VA-1

Comment

These shots are fabulous, I have never come this close in IQ with this combo

/Tord

PS I got your RAW file. The EXIF tag with distance to subject does indeed exist, DXO Optics extracts it from the RAW but it seems this is not the case when using other SW e.g. Olympus Viewer. I suggest we start a new thread to discuss this in the E5 section.

My Gallery on 500px

Comment

Thank you for your appreciation !
        I can bet some other people can take even better photo than me with 50-200 + EC-20.
        Probably E-5 helped a bit - it is a very sharp camera.

Important is that 50-200 alone makes much more sharp images, but of course the subject has to be close.

Tord, I opened a new thread for "distance_to_subject" exif info:
        http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=25132

Thank you for all your help !
        My gallery: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Comment

Hi,

I followed Katran's recommendation to use this combo stopped down to F/9 and must say the difference in sharpness compared to wide open (F/7) is significant. The AF will struggle at times, MF at F/9 is tricky so the application area is more limited since requiring good light conditions but anyhow the setup is far from useless, in contrary to my earlier assessments.

Will post pictures later.

/Tord

My Gallery on 500px

Comment

Tord, great to hear F/9 worked for you.
            We both have 50-200 MK1.

I all the time guessed that SWD version of 50-200 is much sharper with EC-20 and this seems to be true.

This is an picture made by a guy from my Flickr - contact list. Exif shows 400mm F/7.0:
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/12602137524/
            And the picture looks sharp even at 100%.

And now, surprise - a BIF 400mm F/8.0 wich looks again sharp even at 100%:
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/11426863046/

As you know, it is hard to get well focused pictures when birds it is flying directly to you, but this guy managed to this with EC-20 mounted on his 50-200 SWD lens.

I exchanged with him a few mails.
            Apparently, 50-200 SWD is sharper than 50-200 non-SWD when EC-20 is mounted.

For both, F/9.0 gives the best sharpness.

Comment

It just struck me I owe you an update on this topic.

Here are some samples showing the EC20 + 50-200 stopped down to F/9 is quite performant, provided the light conditions are good. I would rate this combo better in resolving details than the Bigma @400mm but again it requires good contrast or AF is close to useless. My 480mm scope outperforms the combo but that is not a relevant comparison.

These are ~60% crops of fairly long distance opportunistic hand-held shots. The Indian Roller at 25 meters and the Changeable Hawk Eagle at least 50 meters.

This said, I still have difficulties have the E620 AF lock properly, with the E5 it is a different story.

PS I have the SWD version of the 50-200
              Last edited by Tordan58; 3rd April 2014, 10:44 PM. Reason: SWD

My Gallery on 500px

Comment

Samples looks really nice - sharp, properly focused.

Comment

In previous pages I wrote my conclusions and posted samples for 50-200 MK1 + EC-20.

Since 3 weeks ago I bought 50-200 SWD.
                  Now I had the chance to compare how is 50-200 SWD + EC-20 vs. 50-200 MK1 + EC-20.
                  I did not expected a big difference between 2 combos.

So I was very suprized to find a big difference in the favour of 50-200 SWD + EC-20 : faster focus good enough for BIFs, much better image quality, image looks good even when lens is wide open, low level of CA (chromatic aberations).

I am a bit exigent with image quality. For my standards the old 50-200 MK1+EC-20 did not delivered image quality good enough.
                  50-200 SWD + EC-20 delivered good image quality even at 100%. Using this combo I did not felt limited at all : I could do BIFs, I could shoot at lower apertures (F/7.0...F/8.) and still got good image quality.

My conclusion: 50-200 SWD is the right lens to use in combination with EC-20. It works nice. The old 50-200 is not good enough for EC-20.
                  I thought all the time that 50-200 SWD is better, but did not expected such a big difference.

I will post next days samples.

Comment

Continuing this thread...

Tested the 50-200 SWD + EC20 today. Sky was cloudy, no shadows, yet pleasant light. EV12-EV13 I would say. Distance 6-8 meters, monopod support.

First tried the E-M1 but the results were clearly disappointing, all pictures came out OOF. Maybe the m43 AF system has a hard time working at F/7.1, maybe my copy of the lens needs calibration?

Switched to the E-5 and got most of the shots properly focused, not all though.

Tried F/9 according to Katran's original recommendations. Was a bit of a challenge with shutter times around 1/125 s. Also F/8 in line with the more recent posts, shutter times now more comfortable, closer to 1/250 s.

Then switched to the Sigma 50-500 at 400mm F/8 but the results where clearly inferior, softer.

Samples below. Developed in LR, applying "Auto Tone" settings and cropped to 50% to ease examining detail rendering.

I am surprised about the quality. It's not in par with the 480mm scope or the 300/2.8 but quite good I would say.

Feel free to comment/feedback.
                    Tord

#1 Great Tit, F/8 1/100s.

#2 Tree Sparrow, F/8, 1/320s.

#3 Chaffinch, F/8, 1/250s.

#4 Tree Sparrow, F/8, 1/320s

#5 Blue Tit, F/8, 1/320s

#6 Greenfinch, F/8, 1/320s.

#7 Tree Sparrow, F/8, 1/400s.

#8 Greenfinch, F/9, 1/400s.
                    Last edited by Tordan58; 28th September 2014, 04:28 PM. Reason: meant E-M1, not E-M5

My Gallery on 500px

Comment

For such weather you made a good job.
                      The pictures looks a bit soft, but the details are there. Is not bad at all.

Probably only E-M1 can handle well 50-200 + EC-20. E-M5 does not suport PDAF.

Comment

Labsus. I meant the E-M1. (Post corrected)

My Gallery on 500px

Comment

Ok, if is E-M1....I do not know. I heard it suports well EC-14, but heard nothing about EC-20.

This is what I got in ideal light conditions:
                          E-5 + 50-200 SWD + EC-20, 400mm, F/9.0, ISO-400, 1/1000s, handheld (picture can be seen at 100% on my Flickr page):

Little gull by Fraton, on Flickr

And a BIF with the same combo, 234mm, F/8.0, ISO-400, 1/1000s (picture can be seen at 100% on my Flickr page):

Little gull by Fraton, on Flickr

Pictures looks a bit soft here, but in FlickR looks much better.

Comment

Here are some more samples, result of casual birding while on travel abroad.

50-200 SWD + EC20 stopped down to F/9
                            E5

#1: Common Sandpipers

#2: Whimbrel

#3: Striated Heron

#4: Bar-tailed Godwit

My Gallery on 500px

Comment

Pictures are nice.
                              Quality is good.
                              SWD + EC-20 is a good combo.

Comment

Lovely images Tord, just shows what the 50-200 SWD and EC-20 are capable of in the right hands.
                                As Katran says it's definitely a good combination.
                                Regards Huw

Olympus equipment
                                Capture One Pro
                                My flickr

Comment

Working...
                                X