Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Whats your current favorite lens?

The 12-60mm, no question.

I really like my other two high grade lenses, the 8mm and 50-200 SWD as they each bring different tricks to the party but the 12-60 is just so, so good. At everything.

Nick
    Bodies: E3, E-P1
    Lenses: 8mm, 14-42mm, 12-60mm, 50-200mm

Comment

I bought into the Oly E system for the reason of compactness and the standard kit lenses plus the 70-300mm tick all the boxes in that regard, plus very good quality.

However since I bought a 12-60mm (ebay) it is rarely off my E620 because I also find it excellent for so many situations.

My other favourite has to be the 50-200mm for its superb image quality.

So what happened to my original quest for a lightweight, compact DSLR?

Comment

I guess this will come as no surprise

For Wildlife - The Bigma. Sharp and accurate even at full bore.
        For macro - The Sigma 150mm Macro. IMHO no other lens comes close for this type of work. It has a reach that makes macro shooting a dream for the photographer and not a nightmare for the subject.
        For general photography - The ZD 12-60mm. A dream of a lens with great versatility and accuracy throughout the focal length.
        Best Regards

PeterD

www.imageinuk.com/

Comment

Mine's been the same lens for more than a decade, the (now) legacy OM 350mm f2.8.

Being longer than the current ZD 300mm f2.8 means it's a 500mm f4 when used with an EC14 (or the legacy 1.4x-A). And I can stack TC's if I want to.
          It's the image that's important, not the tools used to make it.

David M's Photoblog

Comment

I have been using a 18-180 on the 620 with not bad results, would love the 50-200but fairies have not brought it to me yet, and I leave the 70-300 on the 600.

roberta
            Roberta
            E620, E30, OM4-Ti OM-D1... Canon 7D and 5Dmiii
            lenses 14-42mm, 40-150mm, 50mm, 18-180mm, 70-300mm, ec-14 still looking for a Bigma (Canon 17-55mm, 70-300mm and 100-400L)
            FL 50R and Hahnel remote (Canon and Olympus)

Comment

I probably take 90% of my shots with the 12-60.
              I would like to move up to the top pro range but would need both the 14-35 and the 35-100 to cover!
              I'm also very fond of my 35mm Macro and I'm beginning to get the hang of the 50-200.
              Next buy the 7-14mm.
              Duncan

Lots of toys.

Comment

Originally posted by David M View Post
                Mine's been the same lens for more than a decade, the (now) legacy OM 350mm f2.8.

Being longer than the current ZD 300mm f2.8 means it's a 500mm f4 when used with an EC14 (or the legacy 1.4x-A). And I can stack TC's if I want to.
                I've been lusting after one of those for a long time now but they rarely come up for sale, and only when I have no money

How does the 1.4x-A compare to the EC-14 in terms of IQ?

Cheers,

JohnGG

Comment

Originally posted by Swordfish View Post
                  I bought into the Oly E system for the reason of compactness and the standard kit lenses plus the 70-300mm tick all the boxes in that regard, plus very good quality.

However since I bought a 12-60mm (ebay) it is rarely off my E620 because I also find it excellent for so many situations.

My other favourite has to be the 50-200mm for its superb image quality.

So what happened to my original quest for a lightweight, compact DSLR?
                  You can tell yourself it is still compact compared to equivalent reach & apertures in an APS-C sized outfit.
                  Ross
                  I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
                  Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
                  Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
                  Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
                  Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
                  Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

Originally posted by JohnGG View Post
                    I've been lusting after one of those for a long time now but they rarely come up for sale, and only when I have no money

How does the 1.4x-A compare to the EC-14 in terms of IQ?

Cheers,

JohnGG
                    I don't pixel peep but I've found no noticeable difference between the two. I always used it with the 1.4x-A until a year ago when I got around to testing the EC-14 with the lens. I now use the EC-14 most of the time as it saves taking the OM-4/3 adapter off mount the 1.4x-A.

I've no complaints about the 2x-A on the 350mm despite Olympus not recommending the combination.
                    It's the image that's important, not the tools used to make it.

David M's Photoblog

Comment

For me at the moment has to be the 50-200 swd but the 14-54 is a nice lens to. Hmmm maybe the 50mm F2. I cant decide there all great.

Comment

I still love the 11-22 several years after purchasing it. As I do not do much telephoto work, the 11-22 suits my needs perfectly.

I also have a real soft spot for the OM Zuiko 50 1.2.
                        visit my website www.photoark.co.uk

Comment

Today I had some time for a change so I went out with the dog and tested the 70-300. I'm yet to check everything but so far I am impressed by the range and quality offered by this lens. Plus, I took a small crumpler Muffin 5500 including the E-3 without its grip, the 14-54 and the 70-300. This setup was not much bulkier than taking a 4/5/6 series and the two kit lenses, and slightly heavier but nothing you wouldn't manage. For staying light, I think I've found a good combination for me.

Comment

As I have sold all my lenses except 3, the 14-54 Mk1, 70-300 and 35mm macro as I rarely used the others, it has to be the 14-54 or the 70-300 and the winner is:

14-54 MK1

Without doubt a cracking piece of glass that I could never part with!

Comment

50mm + E-1 is a wonderful and very old school combo which produces wonderful images.

Comment

[quote=francois;118287I took.... the E-3 without its grip, the 14-54 and the 70-300.For staying light, I think I've found a good combination for me.[/quote]

I agree. That combo - but with a E620 - is my favourite set. The 14-54 does it all for a short zoom, and the 70-300 is a nice bit of glass, within its comfort zone.
                                Look, I'm an old man. I shouldn't be expected to put up with this.

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.

Comment

Working...
                                X