Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! Generic shutter release cables stopped working

Hi,

I have successfully been using a generic shutter release/inervalometer on my E-5. It suddenly stopped functioning. I bought another and it does not work either.

If I lock the shutter release on the cable, the shutter on the camera will fire if I half the shutter release button on the camera.

The cable won't wake the camera up from 'sleep.'

I've tried unplugging and replugging, selecting

Is there something hidden in the menus that I haven't found? I suspect it is something in camera that has stopped working.

I can shoot Tethered using Olympus Studio and the USB port.

Thanks,

Ivor

Re: Generic shutter release cables stopped working

Is the release set on 'bulb'?
    sigpicDave

Comment

One of the best features on the E-5 is the two-button re-set...

If Studio is working OK then I expect there's a problem with the "generic" kit.
      Graham

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

Two button reset? What's that? (The open door, switch on, hold OK and Menu doesn't work on the E-5. Is there another method of doing a factory reset?)

EDIT: Found it. ISO and +/- buttons. Done a reset and it sill doesn't work.

I've tried all the different settings on the intervalometer/release cable and no joy.

Comment

Is this a wired remote ?
          The picture tells the story, great when you have a bad memory.DW.

Comment

Yes, it is wired. Connects to the three pin socket under the little cap on the side of the camera. The two remotes are exhibiting exactly the same behaviour.

Comment

If it's a wired remote have you checked the pins in the socket? Some generic wired remotes have damaged the pins on the single digit models.
              It's the image that's important, not the tools used to make it.

David M's Photoblog

Comment

Yes, I have checked those and they look fine. None are loose.

Comment

I'd be tempted to try testing the wires on the release, with a meter.

I have a spare cable that plugs into the camera and has a 2.5mm jack plug on the other end, with the 3 "standard" connections (Tip, Middle, Base)

By shorting Base to Middle the camera finds focus, then shorting Base to Tip the Shutter Fires.

You can borrow that to test camera function, if you like.

Graham

Comment

Originally posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
                    I'd be tempted to try testing the wires on the release, with a meter.

I have a spare cable that plugs into the camera and has a 2.5mm jack plug on the other end, with the 3 "standard" connections (Tip, Middle, Base)

By shorting Base to Middle the camera finds focus, then shorting Base to Tip the Shutter Fires.

You can borrow that to test camera function, if you like.

Thanks for that Graham. The newer of the two releases came with that same cable, so I will give it a go with that. I was a bit unsure about putting straight shorts across the terminals as I was not sure whether it required a direct short or a resistive one - I didn't want to blow up the camera's circuitry. I also didn't know which terminals did what. I do now!

Thank-you for that help.

Comment

Okay,

Now I know what it wrong. It's the adapter cable that came with the new shutter release. I plugged the adapter into the socket on the camera and I could get it to focus but not shoot. I then tried shorting out the pins inside the socket and I can get it to both focus and shoot.

That the fault with the original intervalometer and the new one are the same is coincidence.

Thanks Graham_of_Rainham!

Ivor

Comment

If the worse happens, Ivor, I have a spare Olympus release you are more than welcome to borrow for the cost of postage to see if that works.
                        The picture tells the story, great when you have a bad memory.DW.

Comment

Thank-you Imageryone. That's very kind. I have sent a p.m.

People here are great!

Comment

Originally posted by Ivor View Post
                            ...I was a bit unsure about putting straight shorts across the terminals as I was not sure whether it required a direct short or a resistive one - I didn't want to blow up the camera's circuitry. I also didn't know which terminals did what. I do now!

Thank-you for that help.
                            I've "modified" some of these to be activated by various switchs, both electronic and mechanical, so completely happy that a short is completely safe on that circuit.

Pleased to hear you have it sorted (somewhat)

Graham

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            Scroll To Top Scroll To Center Scroll To Bottom