Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(IMAGE heavy) a couple of walks to BIF test...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (IMAGE heavy) a couple of walks to BIF test...

First up, EPM-2 with 1.4x and 4/3 70-300

best I got ...

but virtually all were

on static subjects the combination is soft at the long end

As CAF focus tracking or CAF does not work with the above lens combo I went over to the kit 40-150

the best CAF focus tracking gave me

So went to to CAF and the best was...

Static stuff again is wonderful

So if Olympus are entering the BIF market with the E7 ( and lenses), do lend us a copy to test!
    chris
    shetland

Re: (IMAGE heavy) a couple of walks to BIF test...

I would start by looking at your technique, on the moving stuff it looks like you maybe suffering with a slight camera shake.

Have a look at how you stand and how you hold the body and the lens. A slight movement on the lens when using this combination at full stretch will result in the blur you are seeing. A good solid stance and a still camera will see these improve massively.
    Thanks
    Tim

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Comment

I've posted before that someone on the dpreview Olympus forum stated that the E5+grip+50-200mm was a 'speed focussing demon' for moving subjects.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Ford View Post
        I've posted before that someone on the dpreview Olympus forum stated that the E5+grip+50-200mm was a 'speed focussing demon' for moving subjects.

Jim
        wonder if that translates to the E620?...might have a go tomorrow
        chris
        shetland

Comment

Always found that the 70-300mm is much sharper at about 280mm than it is at 300mm, if that helps?
          The picture tells the story, great when you have a bad memory.DW.

Comment

Originally posted by Imageryone View Post
            Always found that the 70-300mm is much sharper at about 280mm than it is at 300mm, if that helps?
            I would also recommend against using the EC14 with that lens too. Better results come without it with the 70-300 lens & just crop a little more.
            Ross
            I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
            Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
            Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
            Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
            Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
            Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

Not sure whether you were using spot or all points or something in between but I found the 4/3 70-300mm pretty hopeless on both E30 and E5 and useless on m4/3. 50-200mm with EC14 on E5 was pretty good on the E5 but not up to the mark on m4/3, mainly as the focus was not only slow but more importantly inaccurate. I am hoping that Olympus does something this year that betters what I can get on Canon (non IS):

One of 30 that I took that day - 60% keepers

David
              PBase Galleries:-http://www.pbase.com/davidmorisonimages

Comment

Thanks for the info about the 70-300... I was coming round to the idea that the 1.4x was not a good idea for image quality... it works well on the Bigma though. But that is less hand-holdable.

I did try the m4/3 specific lens and that was no better at BIF capture but wonderful for static subjects. As David points out this sort of capture is an Achilles heel in the present Olympus system.

So later I'll nip down to the beach and try the E620 and 50-200SWD as that for me is the limit for hand-held
                chris
                shetland

Comment

Working...
                X
                Scroll To Top Scroll To Center Scroll To Bottom