External power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! External power

I really do want to have external power for my epm-2. Basically to do all night time lapse.
    I figure using a 12V DC car battery...attaching that to a 'gizmo' and have 7.2V DC out the other end. I will then have to sacrifice a battery to form the connections in to the camera.

So questions?
    How strict is the epm-2 at needing 7.2v?
    Is there an Olympus resource I could be pointed to?
    What would the 'gizmo' be?...how do I convert the voltage?

TIA
    chris
    shetland

Re: External power

Buy a time lapse video camera instead?

Comment

...and you would suggest?
      chris
      shetland

Comment

I have a JVC Everio video camera that takes 12 Megapixel stills and does time lapse as an option, mains or batterypowered...the video dual purpose cameras are coming along nicely and if you can borrow one for a single purpose it might make sense. Alternatively look for makes that have time lapse as an option.

Comment

Thanks
          What are they like in low light?
          To get a good image with the epm-2 it is around 15sec @ f4 ISO 3200
          chris
          shetland

Comment

7.2 volts won't be enough. I doubt the camera will operate below 7.5 volts, and vou'll probably need at least 8 volts, depending on how well the gizmo stands up to the load. RadioShack makes an adjustable unit that I bought years ago: 273-1825. It's adjustable in one volt increments. 12-16 volts goes in, and you set a dial for the output. Is very small, and the unit is rated at "30 watts max." Which might be enough, might not, depending on what voltages that refers to. I'd want to try it out on a junk camera, first. The hard part in these sorts of projects is usually making a secure connection that eliminates the risk of a short circuit.
            http://technopeasant.org

Comment

How about one of these and setting the output voltage to (say) 8V:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-Boost-B...item3ccd43011e

I've used one for a project and it works OK.

Jim

Comment

thanks folks
                The battery is rated at 7.2 v hence the ask about the voltage range the camera will take...safely
                chris
                shetland

Comment

7.2 is the nominal voltage but as far as the camera is concerned that's a dead flat battery. Next time you pull a fully charged battery out of the charger, check the voltage. It'll read 8.3-8.5 volts. That's what all cameras want if they use a 7.2 volt battery. The camera will continue to operate as the battery is used up, until voltage drops to around 7.5, more or less.
                  It is probable that all Olympus cameras which use 7.2 volt batteries will operate at 9.0 volts, as that's what the AC-1 adapter that Oly makes will put out. Obviously, there's always some risk with home-made adapters. The safest approach is to build something that mimics battery voltages and current draw.

Comment

Okay finally worked though a battery. Start voltage was 8.3V and end voltage was 6.6V
                    So now to get down to designing a unit to take the 11-22 and the epm-2...
                    chris
                    shetland

Comment

Was 6.6 the voltage at which the camera stopped running? If so, that's new information for me but good to hear that the camera is using more of the available power than I previously thought. I no longer have a BLS camera to make tests on. Hope you post some photos when your project is done. (Hope too, that your camera survives unscathed.)

Comment

Yes...was doing a video and the camera shut down...using a BLS-1...so was thinking 7.5V would be okay for the project...now I assume the camera will only draw the current it requires... also there are 3 terminal on the battery
                        +to- voltage
                        +toT voltage, a 0.2V lower
                        -toT 0V

but I will only need to supply to + and -
                        chris
                        shetland

Comment

Working...
                        X