Shutter button missing cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! Shutter button missing cap

Recently, I discovered that the top cap for my E-P5 had become detached and gone missing. The camera still works, but it is now uncomfortable to depress the shutter button. I did try to get a replacement part from a good Olympus spares dealer (Luton Cameras in the UK, where I live), but they were not able to assist with this part, although they were able to assist with things like a hotshoe cover for the E-M1.

Does anyone have any idea where I might find a replacement (perhaps a spares or repairs E-P5 body; or do other PEN cameras have a compatible shutter button)? It is not pleasant using the camera with the missing button cap. Recently, I discovered that the top cap for my E-P5 had become detached and gone missing. The camera still works, but it is now uncomfortable to depress the shutter button. I did try to get a replacement part from a good Olympus spares dealer (Luton Cameras in the UK, where I live), but they were not able to assist with this part, although they were able to assist with things like a hotshoe cover for the E-M1.

Does anyone have any idea where I might find a replacement (perhaps a spares or repairs E-P5 body; or do other PEN cameras have a compatible shutter button)? It is not pleasant using the camera with the missing button cap.

Recently, I discovered that the top cap for my E-P5 had become detached and gone missing. The camera still works, but it is now uncomfortable to depress the shutter button. I did try to get a replacement part from a good Olympus spares dealer (Luton Cameras in the UK, where I live), but they were not able to assist with this part, although they were able to assist with things like a hotshoe cover for the E-M1.

Does anyone have any idea where I might find a replacement (perhaps a spares or repairs E-P5 body; or do other PEN cameras have a compatible shutter button)? It is not pleasant using the camera with the missing button cap.

Comment

Re: Shutter button missing cap

All I can see on my E-P5 is an 8mm disk for the shutter release, so I can't tell how deep it is or what the means of attachment is. If it's very simple underneath, and if you're really, really stuck, I might be able to turn one up for you on a friend's lathe - but it would be in the New Year. What can you see of the shutter actuation?

Jim

Comment

Thank you both - that is most helpful. May I ask what the name of the shop in Cardiff is? I live in London, so may I ask whether you know whether they deal in mail order?

Jim - that is very kind. I was wondering whether to try to have one 3d printed. I will see if I can get a picture of the attachment mechanism when I get a chance.

Comment

Originally posted by jamespetts View Post
          Jim - that is very kind. I was wondering whether to try to have one 3d printed. I will see if I can get a picture of the attachment mechanism when I get a chance.
          An image would be very helpful. Also measurements. I think that a one-off three D printed would be expensive.

Jim

Comment

If you're not too concerned about looks then you could make one with Sugru?

https://sugru.com/buy
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/amcuk/

Comment

Originally posted by AMc View Post
              If you're not too concerned about looks then you could make one with Sugru?
              ... or Polymorph:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/White-Polym.../dp/B0027IZC3S

I could let you have some, if you want to give it a try. You put the granules in hot water and they soften so they can be moulded. When cool it sets into a hard nylon like plastic that can melted and be reused many times if you don't like the first result.

(A good substitute for Sugru is a mixture of silicone sealer and corn starch:
              https://www.instructables.com/id/How...ru-Substitute/ I've tried it - it works OK.)

Jim

Comment

Camera Centre
                Address: 13-15 Morgan Arcade, City Centre, Cardiff CF10 1AF
                Phone: 01633 262738

Comment

Thank you all for your replies. Please see attached a picture of the shutter button as it is now. Apologies for the quality: I took it with my mobile telephone camera.

I do not think that I should like to make a blob of goo for my shutter button, but it would be useful to know whether these are compatible with other Olympus shutter button top caps to know how wide that I can cast my net for spares or repairs equipment.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by jamespetts View Post
                    Thank you all for your replies. Please see attached a picture of the shutter button as it is now. Apologies for the quality: I took it with my mobile telephone camera.
                    So it looks like there's a flat dark plastic surface, with a raised rim on the outside, and a dimple in the middle also with a surrounding raised rim. Is that a fair description? Can I also see in the middle of the dimple a light coloured part which may be the remains of a broken screw?

Jim

Comment

Thank you all very much for your thoughts. I have decided to send this to Olympus for a repair, as I can arrange this easily with the London Camera Exchange and I can have the skipping dials fixed at the same time.

Thank you all very much for your suggestions, however.

Comment

What are "skipping dials"? Are they something I need to watch out for on my E-P5?

Jim

Comment

Yes, potentially - the E-P5, E-M1 and possibly some other cameras from circa 2013 have a problem in which the front and rear dials become unresponsive after a while, which is very annoying. This can be repaired by Olympus.

I had this problem on my E-M1, which was repaired, and have more recently had it on my E-P5, which I bought secondhand through this forum as an ex-hire model; the camera developed the problem some time after I acquired it.

The E-M1 I managed to get repaired free of charge through the London Camera Exchange as I had bought it from new from there, but the E-P5 repair I anticipate having to pay for.

Comment

Working...
                          X