Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coming Back to the EM 5

Ok Folks

Not too sure if you all remember be a few years back when I use to own a EM 5 and then went back to dSLR.... Now it the time to come back as my Back can't handle the big gears anymore.

I was told the EM 5 has improved a bit since I had one when they first came out is this true? If so in which ways.

As at the moment there is a EM 5 at jessops with 3 lens that takes my fancy...

Other is the EM10 with 2 lens..

Decision is hard

Re: Coming Back to the EM 5

Maybe look at the new EM5 Mk ll ?
    Ed

Live life in the slow lane.

Comment

Don't think I really fancy paying £1500 and then another 500 for couple lens..

But has the EM 5 improved a bit as people say it been altered design wise a but elite??

Or should I look EM10?

Comment

EM 1 might be a option too as can get a 6 month old one with the 12-50 kit lens for £700

Comment

The EM5 is the same as it's always been, a few firmware upgrades might have improved a few things here and there but ultimately it is the same camera.

I am new the the M4/3 world (looking to save size/weight from my FF Nikon kit for travel) and went with the EM10 as it has a number of features that lends itself to a travel camera (wifi and built in flash) which the EM5 doesn't have. The only issue is lack of weather sealing but I felt the other features more than made up for it.

The EM5 mk2 solves these differences and adds some extra features but it is a lot of cash to pay for the difference. They all have the same sensor so image quality is the same.

Comment

But if you go on this page and scroll down you see the difference between the EM10 EM 5 and EM 1 and you will see the EM 5 has a older sensor

http://thomas.leuthard.photography/blog/em10/

Comment

They're all near as damn-it though. Both the EM10 and EM5 have a Sony sensor and the EM1 has a Panasonic sensor without an AA filter.

Not that anyone can really tell the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Nawty View Post
                They're all near as damn-it though. Both the EM10 and EM5 have a Sony sensor and the EM1 has a Panasonic sensor without an AA filter.

Not that anyone can really tell the difference.
                Really is all that true regarding the Sensor i though Oly makes there own hence the reason good cameras? So if the EM 1 using a Panasonic Sensor why don't i go for a GX 7 ?

Comment

It is indeed - I guess Sony couldn't build in the phase detection points.

The differences show up in long high ISO exposures where the Sony sensor is much better but for most instances there is little/no difference. The long exposure problem with the EM1 is mitigated somewhat by the rather fantastic live composite feature.

Comment

Are you saying the EM1 having some problems??? If money wasn't a issue what would you go for now... But some time we like to be sensible and spend rightly lol Ive not the kind of money to throw about I have to be careful..

Comment

Ha ha, the 'issues' with the EM1 sensor are well documented - this is the best piece I've read on it:

http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/m43/em1-em5-dark.html

As for money no object, I am in that exact situation right now. I intend to treat myself in lieu of an upcoming bonus (small, but enough to cover a camera) with either an EM1 or an EM5mk2. At the moment I really really don't know which way to go.

In fact, the bodies all seem so similar that I may just end up getting a 40-150 f/2.8 for my EM10 which is probably a more sensible thing to do.

Comment

The E-M1 has a Panasonic sensor - confirmed by someone stripping the sensor out and looking at it under a microscope. The chip has markings on it that show it's from Panasonic.

There are subtle differences between the E-M1 and all the other 16Mp Oly cameras. The least subtle difference is that the E-M1 sensor generates significantly more noise on long exposure shots (>a few seconds) unless you use dark-frame subtraction. This can be done in-camera, but it means you need to wait for the exposure time x 2 until ready to shoot again. It's unlikely to be an issue unless you're into astro photography or long-exposure landscape shooting.

There are also some subtle colour differences between the sensors too. I personally prefer the colours out of the Sony sensors (E-M5, E-PM2, E-PL5/6/7, E-P5, E-M10 and it seems the E-M5ii), but it's very subtle and is probably due mainly to differences in post processing in LightRoom (I always shoot raw).

However, all these differences are very small and most people would never see the difference unless shots from both sensors were looked at closely side-by-side.

Best bang-for-the buck right now is probably the E-M10. You get all the recent firmware features, 0s anti-shock (electronic first curtain shutter), 3-axis IBIS, flash, WiFi and a very nicely built compact body. Hard to go wrong really.
                        Paul
                        E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
                        flickr
                        Portfolio Site
                        Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by pdk42 View Post
                          Best bang-for-the buck right now is probably the E-M10. You get all the recent firmware features, 0s anti-shock (electronic first curtain shutter), 3-axis IBIS, flash, WiFi and a very nicely built compact body. Hard to go wrong really.

I'll 'second' that.

Kind regards, Simon
                          “Sharpness is a bourgeois concept”
                          ― Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

But bearing in mind the price and the bundle for the em 5 and em 10 at the moment from jessops.

Hmm em1 looks poor with long epsosure at high ISO compare to em 5 on that link.

Comment

Sometime I do long exsposure for water and Milky Way. So these camera a no then

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Scroll To Top Scroll To Center Scroll To Bottom