Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sensor Cleaning

I will go for glass anytime.

As for me, I am trying to get some IPA. The Aeroclipse here cost almost GBP20.00 for a 0.5fl oz.
    * Henry
    * Malaysia

All my garbage so far.

Comment

Originally posted by pdk42 View Post
      Hi Steve - in general ethers are somewhat hygroscopic so it's best to keep them in well-sealed containers. However, I don't know for sure whether that's the case for the ether in Aeroclispe - I'll try to find out.

Glass vs plastic - I'd always suggest glass for organic compounds if there's any doubt.
      Thanks Paul, yes I suspected so.
      Read somewhere about not using Eclipse fluid you may have purchased back when Adam was a lad! Plastic bottles degrade with monomer separation, I guess, so less than ideal for cleaning anything sensitive such as a sensor. (I use (sparingly) the aged Eclipse for lens cleaning and have no worries, on the basis I could clean up any residue if absolutely necessary.)
      Although hygroscopic the dilution effect due to the uptake of water vapour from a few cc of air in the glass bottle compares favourably with a concertina style plastic container, I would have thought.
      Steve

on flickr

Comment

Well, I managed to get my sensor dirty yesterday, so I dug out this old thread for a read...

Sensor cleaning kit ordered, unsure whether to do it with the camera powered on or off - I've found good reasons for both... probably veering towards on... electronic shutter selected so shouldn't have any mechanical issues with the shutter!

Wish me luck - I'll be going in later!
        Paul

I didn’t get where I am today....

Comment

Originally posted by Walti View Post
          .... unsure whether to do it with the camera powered on or off
          If you don't power the camera on the sensor will wobble around as you clean it. I always switch the camera on and it remains locked firmly.

Steve
          Old divers never die, they just go down on old wrecks
          Take nothing but photographs, leave nothing but bubbles
          My website

Comment

Just a thought .... should you turn off IBIS if you are having the camera turned on?

Comment

Right then...

I bought a Rollei m4/3 sensor cleaning kit, which has a dozen swabs and a bottle of some fluid.

Tried with camera switched off and on and would conclude that setting the camera on, with electronic shutter selected - to prevent mechanical shutter accidents and the IBIS off seemed to give the easiest cleaning scenario.

I spent an age cleaning the sensor and not shifting one dust bunny, only to find that changing lenses did away with it - there was a spec on the rear of the lens!

Cleaned the lens before I started as recommended in the instructions, but obviously missed a bit! (which I couldn't see either with the naked eye nor a magnifying glass!)

It's an easy job as long as you take it slowly and don't make stupid errors like what I did!
              Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Walti View Post
                It's an easy job as long as you take it slowly and don't make stupid errors like what I did!
                What stupid errors?
                * Henry
                * Malaysia

All my garbage so far.

Comment

Originally posted by blu-by-u View Post
                  What stupid errors?
                  Not cleaning the rear element of the lens properly and trying to clean that dirt off the sensor - which was on the lens.... nothing too dramatic!
                  Paul

Comment

Working...
                  X