Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New Olympus OMD - EM1X ?

Originally posted by Bruce Clarke View Post
    The E-M1X approach of having to dive into the menu labyrinth to set the subject type seems crude in comparison.
    I haven't looked at the manual but I would imagine that you could assign that menu function to a button, which you could press and then scroll through the options available.

Ron

Comment

Now that I've watched a few reviews and got a better feel for what this camera is about I am not so against it as I was.

The big point made on several of the reviews is that it is aimed at pro photographers. Of course that does not rule out use by enthusiasts but goes a long way to explain it's design and feature set.

From a personal point of view I am impressed with the ergonomics. That was an area of my list of things I wanted to see as improvements on the EM1 2. It is a fairly big one for me and is mostly possible by the increased size which creates room for a new button layout. The customisable menus look good as well but I would hope that we could see something along those lines for the EM1 2 as a firmware update.

That size reminds me of my E3 which felt superb in my hand so perhaps it is not such a mistake after all. It still goes against the ethos of m43 in my opinion but as an isolated pro camera I think I now understand the thinking behind it. It's a pro tool which some enthusiasts who can afford it may also adopt.

For me it's too much money as I'm now retired and my easily disposable income is therefore reduced. I suspect if I handled it I would be very tempted however so perhaps I can sell a child or wife.

Hec
      I've worked hard to be this grumpy. It hasn't been easy at times but it's worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy Hec View Post
        so perhaps I can sell a child or wife.
        Hec

Comment

I'll say squarely up-front that I'm not much into photography these days, (or contribute to this forum much either), and only occasionally use my MFT camera (not Olympus any more), so I'm not in the market for cameras. What I did find a joy about MFT was the overall system compactness. But like car manufacturers, all new models are bigger than the ones they replace, and for what it's worth, I'm not sure just what the appeal of this camera will be and to whom, and I can't see it really adding much to Olympus' profits either.

I quite like reading Thom Hogan's commentary on all things mirrorless, and I think he's pretty much on track with this one. YVMD.

http://www.sansmirror.com/newsviews/.
          Ian

(I can never think of anything witty to say when under pressure!)

GH2, G50, various m4/3rds lenses, Fuji X-T1 system

My website: www.icimaging.co.uk

Comment

Question is, what price do I put on them.

How much is a 20+ year old worth ??

As for my wife; probably wise I do not speculate
            I've worked hard to be this grumpy. It hasn't been easy at times but it's worth it.

Comment

As for my wife; probably wise I do not speculate
              It will be a very brave person who answers that question.
              Dave

My Flickr

Comment

..............The big point made on several of the reviews is that it is aimed at pro photographers...........

I agree with that. Steve Huff has written a generally favourable review but he does point out that it's aimed at a niche market. He writes: "
                Mike
                visit my Natural History Photos website:
                http://www.botanicdesign.co.uk/Natur...story/home.htm

Comment

It will be interesting to see how well this camera sells, I suspect better than predicted on here and for one reason; it looks the dogs bollocks

So often on here we have heard of professional photographers turning up to events and their clients being critical of how small there camera is. Forget all the technical stuff that users of the FT / mFT know about good quality low noise images etc, its the size of the camera that counts you will not miss a professional photographer (or wanabee) holding one of these.

Oh and by the way it has some innovative new features as well which could attract those with the creative flare to use them.
                  John

OM-D E-M1, 12-40 f2.8 Pro, Tamron 14-150mm f5.8, E5, E3, Zuiko 50-200mm SWD, Zuiko 12-60mm SWD, Zuiko ED 70-300mm f5.6, 50mmf2, Zuiko ED 9-18mm f5.6, Sigma 50-500mm f6.3, EC14, EC20, RM-1, VA-1

Comment

Originally posted by birdboy View Post

So often on here we have heard of professional photographers turning up to events and their clients being critical of how small there camera is. Forget all the technical stuff that users of the FT / mFT know about good quality low noise images etc, its the size of the camera that counts you will not miss a professional photographer (or wanabee) holding one of these.
                    Very true.

I have a pro friend who I was talking to yesterday about this camera. He shoots Fuiji for weddings and has had comments that his camera is clearly not big enough for a professional. He did briefly consider switching to EM1 2 but dropped the idea with this as one of the factors, along of course with the cost of switching systems.

It is a sad and slightly bizarre consideration to have to make when choosing a camera system.

hec

Comment

Originally posted by wornish View Post
                      It will be a very brave person who answers that question.
                      And I am not that person

Comment

It probably depends on the size and weight and how they feel in the hand. Smaller bodies seem to be more popular these days. Oh, have I got hold of the wrong end of the stick?

Ron

Comment

• Steve

on flickr

Comment

When our son got married a year ago the wedding photographer used a Fuji X-T2 for daylight shots, but a Nikon something or other because of its superiority when using flash.
                            Ian

(I can never think of anything witty to say when under pressure!)

GH2, G50, various m4/3rds lenses, Fuji X-T1 system

My website: www.icimaging.co.uk

Comment

Tony Northrup has some nice things to say about the OMD E-M1X

Olympus E-M1X TORTURE Test & Review

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmrjI0-9KJs"]Olympus E-M1X TORTURE Test & Review (vs Sony a7R III, a9, Fuji X-T3, Canon 1DX, Nikon D5) - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

The hot wedding photographer of the moment is Kevin Mullins, Fuji X-photographer who shoots with a documentary approach, and no set-piece family lineups.

https://fujifilm-x.com/global/storie...kevin-mullins/

People who require a Big Camera just get and pay for what they deserve.
                                Regards,
                                Mark

------------------------------
                                http://www.microcontrast.com
                                Too much Oly gear.
                                Panasonic GM5, 12-32, 12-35, 15, 35-100, Laowa 7.5.
                                Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.

Comment

Working...
                                X