X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New Olympus OMD - EM1X ?

This is an interesting article:

https://www.imaging-resource.com/new...eries-flagship

Again, shows that Oly engineering is right up there - it's the marketing that's coming over all Theresa May!
    Paul
    E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
    flickr
    Portfolio Site
    Instagram

Comment

Having read the above article, I'm no longer quite so sure that building different AI focus data sets for other subjects is all that easy. Now I can see why it's only got trains, planes and automobiles.

Maybe there's a limitation of the technology that would make it too hard (e.g. would need too big a data set in the camera) to deal with something as wide as "animals". Maybe "birds" would be OK? Maybe it means that you can only load a few subject types in at any one time due to memory limitations in the permanent memory.

Well, I'm clearly no expert. Time will tell!
      Paul
      E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
      flickr
      Portfolio Site
      Instagram

Comment

Just got my ticket for a 1-2-1 demonstration, next Friday.
        Graham

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...

Comment

Originally posted by pdk42 View Post
          Maybe it means that you can only load a few subject types in at any one time due to memory limitations in the permanent memory.
          I think this is covered by this part of the article:

"Can the range of AI-recognized subjects be expanded with firmware updates?
          Yes! This was definitely good news. I asked if the range of subjects the E-M1X's intelligent subject recognition could process could be expanded via firmware updates, and the answer was unequivocally yes. And that Olympus is already planning to add additional subject types going forward, via that mechanism.

My immediate followup question was how much space there was in the camera's firmware storage to hold the data clouds for additional subject types, and the answer was deliberately vague. The engineers declined to say either how many megabytes each definition took up or how much free space remained in the E-M1X's EPROMs, the chips in which the firmware is stored.

My impression was that the data clouds associated with subject descriptions are quite large, perhaps on the order of a gigabyte or so. (Although it's important to note that they didn't specifically confirm that number.) They did say that the data was very compressed, compared to what its natural, uncompressed size would be."

It's a shame they haven't been able to broadcast this. If they could have listed specific subject types that we could expect this year it would have been much more positive.

But it would be fun to try the planes setting for BIF!
          Andy
          bengeo.com

Comment

Interesting video from WEX: https://youtu.be/SmurxImKsx8

If you want to skip to the Red Kites section: https://youtu.be/SmurxImKsx8?t=225
            Andy
            bengeo.com

Comment

Originally posted by Bengeo View Post
              Interesting video from WEX: https://youtu.be/SmurxImKsx8

If you want to skip to the Red Kites section: https://youtu.be/SmurxImKsx8?t=225

So it still locks on to the background then! Crap!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyR View Post
                So it still locks on to the background then! Crap!
                Just set the in camera focus distance limiter. Easy.
                Andy
                bengeo.com

Comment

If space to add more focus tracking options is limited then perhaps they can let you delete any you don't want, Iv never took a shot of a train in my life so that one could go for me that would free up space for something I might use if they do add more.
                  a few things i like

iso noise is improved at 800 to 1600 for jpeg so that nice, I also like that you can make you own AF point custom ,faster startup, better dust removal, as i tend to use long lenses built in grip is ok for me so longer battery life ,better buffer always handy .
                  Not sure about C-AF Just yet BUT with the custom AF it should be better ( for BIF ) looks like the VF is a little better, iso button, as I only use M this should be very handy to adjust the exposure and keep the same aperture and shutter speed say if a cloud comes over .
                  Not quite ready to order one

Rob

Comment

If short of memory, maybe allowing to store the AI/tracking algorithms on SD card and/or computer disk could be solution to increase the range of applications?

My Gallery on 500px

Comment

I can't believe this is how the AI works in say the top end Huawei phones, needing vast databases of every kind of subject. I assumed it was boiled down to some compact algorithms, similar to the way Lightroom stores edits as vector changes rather than pixel changes.
                      Bruce

http://flickr.com/photos/bruce-clarke/

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Clarke View Post
                        I can't believe this is how the AI works in say the top end Huawei phones, needing vast databases of every kind of subject. I assumed it was boiled down to some compact algorithms, similar to the way Lightroom stores edits as vector changes rather than pixel changes.
                        I am not sure the AI in the top end phones can do the tracking that the OLY does. They can do face detection and fairly easy stuff like that, but it's not in the same league.
                        Dave

My Flickr

Comment

From the little bit I've read elsewhere, I thought AI camera systems are taking pictures before you press the shutter release and are therefore able to predict what you're going to take. Clever!
                          PS I think you have to have a half press on the shutter release.

Wait until quantum computing becomes mainstream - however the successor to EMIX may have to grow a little.
                          Steve

on flickr

Comment

Originally posted by wornish View Post
                            I am not sure the AI in the top end phones can do the tracking that the OLY does. They can do face detection and fairly easy stuff like that, but it's not in the same league.
                            I think it's a lot cleverer than that now. It looks at what you are shooting to decide what the subject matter and lighting is, and applies appropriate automatic settings. Obviously it won't get it right all the time, but for the average non-techy person, it will probably do a better job than they would with no effort. The E-M1X approach of having to dive into the menu labyrinth to set the subject type seems crude in comparison.
                            Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Clarke View Post
                              I think it's a lot cleverer than that now. It looks at what you are shooting to decide what the subject matter and lighting is, and applies appropriate automatic settings. Obviously it won't get it right all the time, but for the average non-techy person, it will probably do a better job than they would with no effort. The E-M1X approach of having to dive into the menu labyrinth to set the subject type seems crude in comparison.
                              From the limited stuff I have looked at yes, it can recognise whether its a person you are looking at and how close they are and automatically blur the background. It can also detect a landscape or a view of the sea etc. It then simply adjusts the exposure and aperture to give the best result and displays a level to get the horizon horizontal. I have not seen any examples where it can for example track a bird, or even a plane. I might have missed this and would love to see examples. They certainly are going beyond the basic point and shoot cameras that were mainstream even a year ago.
                              Dave

My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by wornish View Post
                                From the limited stuff I have looked at yes, it can recognise whether its a person you are looking at and how close they are and automatically blur the background. It can also detect a landscape or a view of the sea etc. It then simply adjusts the exposure and aperture to give the best result and displays a level to get the horizon horizontal. I have not seen any examples where it can for example track a bird, or even a plane. I might have missed this and would love to see examples. They certainly are going beyond the basic point and shoot cameras that were mainstream even a year ago.
                                Phones still mostly have only modest optical zooms, so no great need for that type of tracking yet. The P30 Pro is rumoured to have quite a long optical zoom in periscope form. It will be interesting to see how that copes with movement tracking.
                                Bruce

Comment

Working...
                                X