Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New Olympus OMD - EM1X ?

Yes and No.
    People who opted for m43 mainly because of the cost/weight vs. FF and superb handheld shooting capabilities with long focal lengths will not be deterred by the size. People who chose m43 for the size, yes.

This EM1.X is a vehicle using trusted platform (EM1.2) with new body and dual engine(?) to implement new cool groundbreaking camera features, improved video, improved AF while managing technology risks. Aligned with the lens portfolio and plan, make a statement that m43 is a serious options to consider. Convert a portion of FF users (some will still remain brand loyal and some will move to Fuji/Sony/Panasonic). There is a time window to seize teh opportunity and it's not open forever.

As next step Olympus will shrink the platform and engine, which will enable a smaller body offering same/similar performance and for some bodies e.g. if we envision EM1.3 there will be a detachable grip if extra battery capacity is wanted. We may also see improved sensors launched however it has been silent for quite some while so future will tell.

My Gallery on 500px

Comment

Originally posted by Ricoh View Post
      Quite a few supporters here on the forum. How many though are going to purchase?
      Probably the same ones that always get their pre-orders in 10 seconds after the camera is announced. Same thing with new mobile phones and games, except they prefer to queue outside a store for 3 days in the freezing cold. It's all about "Bragging Rights", so vital in today's society.

Jax

Comment

Quite a few supporters here on the forum. How many though are going to purchase?
        For me the AF performance is what counts most but there is a limit for how much I am prepared to shell out to gain improvements as the EM1.2 is pretty good already. It is not possible to answer your question as we do not yet know the price tag.

The alternative could be to wait for the EM1.3.or to spend money on the rumoured 100-400 if that lens is what I believe/hope for.

My Gallery on 500px

Comment

Its a bit early to say for sure but I'm ready to get one and a 400 F4 zoom or prime but I would not pre order .
          Generally you have to pay quite a lot for what is a small gain, for me better ISO and better C-AF over the OMDmkII of cause the big question is HOW much better ?

Rob.

Comment

Lots I hope, then there may be some used E-M1 IIs going cheap :-)

Comment

The trouble is that there is now so much hype surrounding this new camera and so many people hoping for it to be a massive failure that Olympus have to produce something truly spectacular. I really hope they can do it as I will enjoy seeing all those egg-covered faces. Personally speaking, I will not be buying one as I am quite happy with my existing equipment and have no plans to spend any more money on photographic gear. However, I still hope that there will be at least one more firmware update for my E-M1 II.

Ron

Comment

Originally posted by wornish View Post
                ... I am guessing it won't be very many.
                I'm 101% certain of that, but some people are drawn to gadgets, like magpies.
                Steve

on flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Olybirder View Post
                  The trouble is that there is now so much hype surrounding this new camera and so many people hoping for it to be a massive failure that Olympus have to produce something truly spectacular. I really hope they can do it as I will enjoy seeing all those egg-covered faces. Personally speaking, I will not be buying one as I am quite happy with my existing equipment and have no plans to spend any more money on photographic gear. However, I still hope that there will be at least one more firmware update for my E-M1 II.

Ron
                  I'm done with spending on new kit, my next "new" (to me) camera will come via eBay, as and when required. But not for some time, hopefully.
                  Steve

on flickr

Comment

I am quite happy with my existing equipment and have no plans to spend any more money on photographic gear.

Ron
                    I've said exactly the same about camera gear, computer gear, quite a few times

Jax

Comment

I'm a bit conflicted about it and am looking forward to seeing what it will really deliver. Even with the E-M1 Mk II and f/2.8 lenses I still get problems in low light with sport at this time of year, and I suppose I am part of its target audience. But I really don't like the increased size. I don't have any problems at all with a small body on the back of a big lens, and small makes it easier to fit everything into a bag and the bag easier to lug around.

No doubt there will be some whizz-bangery features and it would be nice to think that they would percolate down into more modest models in future. This may well be the case, but I rather doubt that we would see a theoretical "E-M1 Mark III". More likely is that they would turn up in the 5 and/or 10 series, the thinking being that if you want thetop specs you buy the latest flagship model. I would still need weather sealing (anyone remember December 15th.? http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=49417) and PD focusing for 4/3 lenses so new E-M10s and E-M5s wouldn't help.

There is no point in speculating really. It won't be long before we see what it is, what it does, and what it costs.

John

Comment

Ron
                        Nicely said, however in my case, personally speaking, I will not be buying one as I am quite happy with my existing equipment and my wife told me I have no plans to spend any more money on photographic gear. I would still like to get that lens with longer reach though.

Anyhow, it's fun to 'window shop'. so here are a couple of edited screen shots from the 2nd video.
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	E-M1X+300F4 lens[CaOne]adj-sr.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	165.7 KB
ID:	730870 With 300mm F4 lens.

Click image for larger version

Name:	E-M1X+300F4 lens2[CaOne]adj-sr.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	730871
                        Ross
                        I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
                        Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
                        Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
                        Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
                        Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
                        Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

Originally posted by Bikie John View Post
                          I'm a bit conflicted about it and am looking forward to seeing what it will really deliver. Even with the E-M1 Mk II and f/2.8 lenses I still get problems in low light with sport at this time of year, and I suppose I am part of its target audience. But I really don't like the increased size. I don't have any problems at all with a small body on the back of a big lens, and small makes it easier to fit everything into a bag and the bag easier to lug around.

No doubt there will be some whizz-bangery features and it would be nice to think that they would percolate down into more modest models in future. This may well be the case, but I rather doubt that we would see a theoretical "E-M1 Mark III". More likely is that they would turn up in the 5 and/or 10 series, the thinking being that if you want thetop specs you buy the latest flagship model. I would still need weather sealing (anyone remember December 15th.? http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=49417) and PD focusing for 4/3 lenses so new E-M10s and E-M5s wouldn't help.

There is no point in speculating really. It won't be long before we see what it is, what it does, and what it costs.

John
                          Anyone remember December 15th...
                          I certainly do, and it will take a long time to forget. I was watching Sale Sharks play Bordeaux... and nearly died.
                          The Sharks lost, but that's what you get when you're playing 16 men!
                          Steve

on flickr

Comment

Maybe the technical department at Olympus is ahead of the marketing department and its all just in the name. Customers see the "E-M1X" as the next iteration of the "E-M1" line and expect it to replace the E-M1ii which would then be discontinued. Perhaps they should have called it the E-MXi so it is clearly a different (sports and wildlife) line of cameras with the following one in the range being the E-Mxii in 3 or 4 years. The same problem happened with the E-M10iii (which got some flack) only in this case the E-M10iii was not really superior to the E-M10ii and not its successor, it was just different. In my view different enough (some superior features and some inferior features) to give it a new name, say E-M15i.
                            Cameras: E-M5, E-PM2, OM40, OM4Ti
                            Lenses (M.Zuiko Digital): 7-14mm/F2.8, 12-40mm/F2.8, 40-150mm/F2.8+TC1.4x, 12-50mm/F3.5-6.3, 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 EZ, M.ZD 40-150 F4-5.6 R, 75-300mm/F4.8-6.7 Mk1, 12mm/F2, 17mm/F1.8
                            Lenses (OM Zuiko): 50mm/F1.2, 24mm/F2, 35mm/F2.8 shift
                            Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
                            Learn something new every day

Comment

• Paul

I didn’t get where I am today....

Comment

I can't imagine there will be anything other than a marginal improvement in high iso performance. Anyway irrespective of its performance there are negatives that limit the interest in this camera for me notablt the built in grip and the price 😐 my EM1.2 is plenty good enough for me and I have the option to use the grip, or not. And it's paid for 😁😁
                                Dave

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac, Manfrotto, and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge

Comment

Working...
                                X