Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New Olympus OMD - EM1X ?

Originally posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
    It really does look every bit like the 40-150 lens with a 'screw-in' rubber lens hood. Maybe that's part of the ploy to keep people guessing (or an admission the lens hood wasn't the best, although mine is fine).
    I asked the photographer Kelley L Cox about this on Facebook and got this reply: "NBA games we have to have rubber hoods. To make sure I never forget mine, I just keep it on there all the time. $6.99 amazon find https://amzn.to/2s78WYK"
    Andy
    bengeo.com

Comment

A bit bigger than I thought Ross but not a problem for me if they get it right regarding specs.

Actually, I measured the E-M1 Mk II + HLD-9 (height) & it is:

(excluding protrusions) compared to E-M1X at:
      144.370mm (width) x 146.765mm (height) x 75.345mm (depth),
      while the following are:
      Canon EOS-1D X Mark II: 158.0 x 167.6 x 82.6mm,
      Nikon D5: 160.0 x 158.5 x 92.0mm.

Rob.

Comment

Originally posted by Bengeo View Post
        I asked the photographer Kelley L Cox about this on Facebook and got this reply: "NBA games we have to have rubber hoods. To make sure I never forget mine, I just keep it on there all the time. $6.99 amazon find https://amzn.to/2s78WYK"
        Interesting, thanks Andy.

John

Comment

Hi,

I understand that most of us would like to see "smaller at reasonable cost" and not "bigger at excessive cost". However I think we need to look at the context and competition before expressing dismay of the upcoming EM1.X. Olympus have limited R&D resources and need to make good use of them.

I agree with those who believe Olympus are making a making a statement that they are committed to m4/3 and taking the opportunity to demonstrate this for their 100 year anniversary. Then they will have about one year time to further exploit the technology, stabilize it/get rid of bugs and possibly deliver features that are still in the development pipe and not yet production mature, through FW updates/upgrades timely for the 2020 Olympics.

It's large for a m4/3 camera, I agree. The look of the camera leaves mixed impressions at least to me, a mix of E5 and EM1.2 with a grip. However please keep in mind that the target group is sports and wildlife photographers. A larger form factor may not be that much of an issue when paired with telephoto lenses. On the contrary a larger body could mean improved perceived ergonomy.

What has not been discussed is the weight. My guess is it should probably be in the same order as the EM1.2 + battery grip, total ~850g including two batteries. Hopefully some weight can be shaved off since the mechanical coupling between the body and the grip will be gone. Compare that with ~1500g for the Nikon D5/Canon 1DX.

Next we need to consider the weight of the lenses required to capture action with the same angle of view. Even the latest generation of Canon/Nikon FF lenses will impose a weight penalty of several kgs compared to m4/3. The point is demonstrating a portable setup that can be used handheld and with excellent water resistant specs. In Tokyo, the summers are warm, muggy, and wet. Weather pending, Olympics 2020 provides an excellent opportunity to prove this.

Now back to the built-in grip. I would guess the space it will be taken advantage of to accomodate electronics, for instance dedicating additional processing power to improve the AF of the EM1.2.

Introduction price: close to 3k USD. That's steep and may deter potential buyers. One need to look at the full picture though - the total cost associated to the purchase of a m43 setup including high grade lenses. Canon, Nikon and Sony have FF camera offerings for enthusiast at 2-3k USD however their lenses are expensive. Fuji X series looks competitive however their lens offering seems limited at least looking at the long focal lengths.

What we will see moving forward is Olympus taking in the lessons learned from this product, shrinking it to a form factor that many of 4/3 users would like to see, then spawning cameras that inherit from the EM1.X technology (and adding new such a new sensor). Olympus have already proven they can make high quality and very capable cameras in a small form factor. If the EM1.X delivers, all of Olympus customers will benefit from its legacy in future models. I keep my fingers crossed that the EM1.X will be well received.

My Gallery on 500px

Comment

Originally posted by Tordan58 View Post
            Hi,

I understand that most of us would like to see "smaller at reasonable cost" and not "bigger at excessive cost". However I think we need to look at the context and competition before expressing dismay of the upcoming EM1.X. Olympus have limited R&D resources and need to make good use of them.

I agree with those who believe Olympus are making a making a statement that they are committed to m4/3 and taking the opportunity to demonstrate this for their 100 year anniversary. Then they will have about one year time to further exploit the technology, stabilize it/get rid of bugs and possibly deliver features that are still in the development pipe and not yet production mature, through FW updates/upgrades timely for the 2020 Olympics.

It's large for a m4/3 camera, I agree. The look of the camera leaves mixed impressions at least to me, a mix of E5 and EM1.2 with a grip. However please keep in mind that the target group is sports and wildlife photographers. A larger form factor may not be that much of an issue when paired with telephoto lenses. On the contrary a larger body could mean improved perceived ergonomy.

What has not been discussed is the weight. My guess is it should probably be in the same order as the EM1.2 + battery grip, total ~850g including two batteries. Hopefully some weight can be shaved off since the mechanical coupling between the body and the grip will be gone. Compare that with ~1500g for the Nikon D5/Canon 1DX.

Next we need to consider the weight of the lenses required to capture action with the same angle of view. Even the latest generation of Canon/Nikon FF lenses will impose a weight penalty of several kgs compared to m4/3. The point is demonstrating a portable setup that can be used handheld and with excellent water resistant specs. In Tokyo, the summers are warm, muggy, and wet. Weather pending, Olympics 2020 provides an excellent opportunity to prove this.

Now back to the built-in grip. I would guess the space it will be taken advantage of to accomodate electronics, for instance dedicating additional processing power to improve the AF of the EM1.2.

Introduction price: close to 3k USD. That's steep and may deter potential buyers. One need to look at the full picture though - the total cost associated to the purchase of a m43 setup including high grade lenses. Canon, Nikon and Sony have FF camera offerings for enthusiast at 2-3k USD however their lenses are expensive. Fuji X series looks competitive however their lens offering seems limited at least looking at the long focal lengths.

What we will see moving forward is Olympus taking in the lessons learned from this product, shrinking it to a form factor that many of 4/3 users would like to see, then spawning cameras that inherit from the EM1.X technology (and adding new such a new sensor). Olympus have already proven they can make high quality and very capable cameras in a small form factor. If the EM1.X delivers, all of Olympus customers will benefit from its legacy in future models. I keep my fingers crossed that the EM1.X will be well received.
            Wise words Tordan!

I agree wholeheartedly!
            Paul

I didn’t get where I am today....

Comment

Well said Tord. I moved to Olympus to reduce weight (of the gear, not me!) and that is my main concern. As I use telephotos most of the time the size is not so important. With the grip built in you will lose the weight of the bottom plate of the camera and the top plate of the grip. I just hope Olympus can do some magic to keep the weight down.

The teaser video gives us some impressions and the photographer's hands are quite small, so it doesn't look much different from the EM1 mkII and grip:

Andy
              bengeo.com

Comment

Originally posted by Bengeo View Post
                The teaser video gives us some impressions and the photographer's hands are quite small, so it doesn't look much different from the EM1 mkII and grip:
                That profile frame of the camera makes the 'grip' part look huge; big enough to take two much bigger batteries than even the BLH-1?
                Iain

E-M1, E-M1 II, E-M5 II, 7.5, 8-18, 12-40, 25, 40-150, 45, 60, 300

Website
                Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by IainMacD View Post
                  That profile frame of the camera makes the 'grip' part look huge; big enough to take two much bigger batteries than even the BLH-1?
                  I think that view of the camera is a bit deceptive.

The 'grip' part looks to be smaller than the add-on grip at the right hand end. The door on that side implies that the batteries will be placed on their edges.
                  Andy
                  bengeo.com

Comment

It's worth remembering that the big names in cameras established themselves by attracting professionals first. It has been said that Nikon rangefinders ousted Leicas during the Vietnam war, because they established repair facilities locally. A war correspondent otherwise had to wait months for his damaged Leica to return from Germany.

Then the photographers brought them home and Nikon was established .... until Canon came along with their big white lenses, which acted as a great advertising tool at major sports events. The Canon had better, faster AF and, despite being a totally new (EF) mount, the advantages were sufficient to win over the press crowd.

I feel sure that Olympus have the 2020 Olympics very much in mind. If they get it right, their smaller long lenses, which don't need tripods, could make a big impact. If the professionals 'buy in' then MFT could still prove to be the first choice for sports and nature photography.

The E-M1X and accompanying lenses are surely aimed at the guys for whom performance matters more than money and, if that works out, the amateur models will follow along behind.
                    Mike
                    visit my Natural History Photos website:
                    http://www.botanicdesign.co.uk/Natur...story/home.htm

Comment

I've been rather out of touch since early Nov, as some may have noticed when I suddenly disappeared, due to my wife's spinal surgery and recovery. Those nurses uniforms do look good on me however

Therefore I have missed a lot of the rumours and discussion around this new offering from our esteemed camera manufacturers. Untill that is the teaser popped into my inbox. I have to say it does not look as large and unwieldy as I feared and if the weight is good it may not be such a turn off as I expected. My old E3 always felt superb in my hand so perhaps this will have that perfect fit.

The reality is, for me at least in my now retired state, the price will exclude me from the queue of customers even if the spec and performance offer significant improvements over the EM1 2. I sense that it is aimed at a specific market ahead of the Olympics and the Japan based Rugby World cup later this year as part of the anniversary celebrations and show that m43 is here for a while yet and continuing to push camera technology forward.

I wonder if there will be an EM1 3 with the rumoured global shutter and "organic" sensor, whatever that is? Perhaps that will have some of the X advantages but aimed less at the specific sports and wildlife market and more of a wedding/enthusiast camera.

Perhaps Olympus are quietly hatching a leap frog over FF to medium format? This would of course be physically bigger, expensive, both to buy and develop, but be a move into the big mega pixel, mirrorless market. Who knows but certainly not me.

In the meantime I will watch developments with interest and also start to get back into the forum on a more regular basis.

Hec
                      I've worked hard to be this grumpy. It hasn't been easy at times but it's worth it.

Comment

I doubt Olympus have the means and resources to split their R&D into more than the micro four thirds product line.

My Gallery on 500px

Comment

You are almost certainly correct. Twas but a flight of fancy on my part.

Hec
                          I've worked hard to be this grumpy. It hasn't been easy at times but it's worth it.

Comment

It could be that they are putting a larger more powerful battery in this could drive AF motors faster Canon do this with there 1d series .

Rob.

Comment

Originally posted by GyRob View Post
                              It could be that they are putting a larger more powerful battery in this could drive AF motors faster Canon do this with there 1d series .

Rob.
                              It's already been confirmed to be using the same batteries as the E-M1 Mk II, two of them & they can also be charged 'in camera' too.

EDIT: The following shows 1 & 2 Charge lights (for both batteries) & also C-Lock, which I'm going to guess at locking controls while charging the batteries. I'm also going to hazard a guess that there may be Menu options in how those batteries are charged too, sequentially or singularly etc.
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	E-M1X rear-cr.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	259.4 KB
ID:	730869
                              Ross
                              I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
                              Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
                              Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
                              Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
                              Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
                              Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

Amid the usual torrent of dreams, flannel and spleen about the X on the dpreview forums, several rational sources have said the size increase is probably connected with heat dissipation to enable a full range and long duration of advanced video modes.
                                Regards,
                                Mark

------------------------------
                                http://www.microcontrast.com
                                Too much Oly gear.
                                Panasonic GM5, 12-32, 12-35, 15, 35-100, Laowa 7.5.
                                Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.

Comment

Working...
                                X