Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: M10 Mark III review

Originally posted by KeithL View Post
    The 64,000$ question is, will it? Very expensive as a first step away from a smartphone.

Comment

Originally posted by rockelye View Post
      It’s still cheaper than an iPhone X...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      But it only does one thing (photography) so you still need a phone.

- - -

Interesting discussion on Mark III. Sadly people usually do buy based on rather superficial marketing material and perhaps reviews which are also based on limited experience of a product. It's difficult when making a buying decision to access the experience of long term use - especially of a product is so new that no-one has used it for long.

When I was making a decision to try and get back into "proper" photography just over a year ago, I had absolutely no idea how complex the Oly's menu system would prove. Once I'd decided on mirrorless (rather than bridge camera - RX10 III was enticing but costly) I guess the factors which drove me to Oly included reputation - especially for lenses, maybe a bit of sentimental loyalty (I'd used an OM2n years ago), traditional appearance, and of course some reviews and personal advice. But crucially I was tempted by E-M10 II, and the only thing which persuaded me to get E-M5 II instead was weatherproofing. (And I later upgraded to used E-M1 due when I realised better compatibility with FT glass).

That was a long winded way of supporting the suggestion that Oly may be irked that the E-M10 II was too good.

Comment

I've just upgraded from an E-M10 to an E-M10 Mkii. If the Mkiii had anything significant in it's favour I could have spent the extra cash but there was really nothing there I wanted
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/amcuk/

Comment

Originally posted by AMc View Post
          I've just upgraded from an E-M10 to an E-M10 Mkii. If the Mkiii had anything significant in it's favour I could have spent the extra cash but there was really nothing there I wanted
          I don't consider going to a later model of the same level an upgrade & am not surprised you're disappointed. If you wanted to 'upgrade' then going to the E-M5 Mk II would have been an upgrade.
          Ross
          I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
          Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
          Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
          Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
          Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
          Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

Originally posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
            I don't consider going to a later model of the same level an upgrade & am not surprised you're disappointed. If you wanted to 'upgrade' then going to the E-M5 Mk II would have been an upgrade.
            I didn't want a bigger body - the silent shutter, higher resolution EVF and extra stabilisation more than made sense to go from Mki to Mkii.
            4K video on Mkiii wasn't even a consideration.

Comment

I didn't want a bigger body - the silent shutter, higher resolution EVF and extra stabilisation more than made sense to go from Mki to Mkii.
              4K video on Mkiii wasn't even a consideration.
              Then you just wanted to update to a later model then. The Mk III is really a model for entry level users as it has been redesigned to cater more for them than experienced users getting a cheaper body with advanced features to compliment their more expensive model. I believe Olympus wanted to achieve two things with that model, have a User Interface that is easier for entry level users & taking out some advanced features & settings & in doing so hoping that second body users would buy a higher (more expensive) model instead of the cheapest of the range.
              Ross
              Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.

Comment

Originally posted by pdk42 View Post
                Seems to me that the E-M10iii is a backward step for anyone who has "real photographer" pretensions. Dumbed down features via firmware. Sad...

Comment

You can’t assign hdr and bracketing to fn buttons?
                  That’s weird. You can with the mkii.
                  They are still available in some places.

Comment

No you can't. Hence my disappointment.
                    And yes it is a shame Olympus have dumbed down the EM10. Perhaps to encourage people to buy the EM5 ?

Comment

I knew there were various weird changes with the E-M10iii but wasn't aware of that one.
                      If they stick with that with any mark IV then I won't be buying that either!

The ii is still available. It seems to be the bargain of the OM-D range to me, though I'd probably go used rather than new. I upgraded from an M10i to ii and found it very worthwhile.

Someone was talking about voucher codes from the Olympus store if you can get hold of one it might be worth a look?

https://shop.olympus.eu/en_GB/camera.../e-m10-mark-ii

I sympathise about the trade in valuation. A long time back I won a Fuji kit similar to my E-PL5. I tried them back to back and chose to stick with what I got.

It had fewer than 100 shots and was mint but I got offered less than half retail for it. In the end I sold it on for the same money to a mate as it was free to me anyway.

Comment

I knew there were various weird changes with the E-M10iii but wasn't aware of that one.
                        If they stick with that with any mark IV then I won't be buying that either!

The ii is still available. It seems to be the bargain of the OM-D range to me, though I'd probably go used rather than new. I upgraded from an M10i to ii and found it very worthwhile.

Someone was talking about voucher codes from the Olympus store if you can get hold of one it might be worth a look?

https://shop.olympus.eu/en_GB/camera.../e-m10-mark-ii

I sympathise about the trade in valuation. A long time back I won a Fuji kit similar to my E-PL5. I tried them back to back and chose to stick with what I got.

It had fewer than 100 shots and was mint but I got offered less than half retail for it. In the end I sold it on for the same money to a mate as it was free to me anyway.

Thanks for thoughts.
                        Final decision is to buy a seconhand EM5 mk2 from Wex ( they had what I want and experience tells me their one year warranty is honoured ) and will put my "new" EM10mk3 on ebay. More controls and weather sealing are important to me.

Comment

Originally posted by chorleyjeff View Post
                          No you can't. Hence my disappointment.
                          And yes it is a shame Olympus have dumbed down the EM10. Perhaps to encourage people to buy the EM5 ?
                          I believe this was part of the strategy in making the E-M10 (III) model easier & less complicated for entry level users while also encouraging advanced users to buy the next more advanced model (E-M5 series) instead of getting a fairly advanced E-M10 (II) at a budget price.

Ross

Comment

They really should have renamed the E-M10iii as something else, say E-M20i. A lot of people were upset when the newer model was inferior in a number of ways. A different name for a different target audience would have made a lot of sense (to me).
                            Cameras: E-M5, E-PM2, OM40, OM4Ti
                            Lenses (M.Zuiko Digital): 7-14mm/F2.8, 12-40mm/F2.8, 40-150mm/F2.8+TC1.4x, 12-50mm/F3.5-6.3, 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 EZ, M.ZD 40-150 F4-5.6 R, 75-300mm/F4.8-6.7 Mk1, 12mm/F2, 17mm/F1.8
                            Lenses (OM Zuiko): 50mm/F1.2, 24mm/F2, 35mm/F2.8 shift
                            Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
                            Learn something new every day

Comment

Originally posted by OM USer View Post
                              They really should have renamed the E-M10iii as something else, say E-M20i. A lot of people were upset when the newer model was inferior in a number of ways. A different name for a different target audience would have made a lot of sense (to me).
                              Maybe they were upset, but with a model capable of doing a lot the E-M5 could do but not weather sealed & at a somewhat cheaper price, wasn't the best for E-M5 series sales perhaps. Now there is more distinct differentiation in the levels of the models & the 'entry' level model isn't so complicated for that level of user.
                              Ross

Comment

Most people buying this grade of camera won't be bothered about weather sealing, unless they just want a cheap 'everyday' camera - but it's a bit bulky for that. Many good smartphones now are weather sealed, offer good camera functions, and must surely be more attractive.

I'm thinking of flogging my Mi mk 1 stuff now, since I can't do much photography now. My EPL-7 does enough generally. I know someone who bought an EM 10 mk III, and she very quickly sold it (I think) and bought a new M1 Mk II and lens kit at a bargain price. M10 mk iii doesn't seem to have a comfortable niche in the market to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X