X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phill D
    replied
    Re: Panning with the EM1

They look good to me Toby. I sent you a pm.

Leave a comment:

• snerkler
    replied

Originally posted by Phill D View Post
    Just noticed where you are snerkler if you fancy a meet up sometime you could try out my mkII in comparison. I've not tried much panning so a few tips would be great.
    Would be happy to meet up, although I'm far from an expert at panning These are some of my recent attempts at trying to get low shutter pans, around 1/25 and 1/15. My aim is 1/8 but I haven't managed that yet

https://www.flickr.com/gp/[email protected]/Xd0E7B
    https://flic.kr/s/aHsmgpDg5C

I've actually got the Mark II, 40-150mm f2.8 and 300mm f4 booked out on the Olympus test and wow in a couple of weeks time so looking forward to trying them out

Where in Derbyshire are you?

Leave a comment:

• Phill D
    replied

Just noticed where you are snerkler if you fancy a meet up sometime you could try out my mkII in comparison. I've not tried much panning so a few tips would be great.

Leave a comment:

• snerkler
    replied

Originally posted by Phill D View Post
    That's a pretty nice detailed reply from Olympus. Have you tried the electronic shutter?
    Only once, too much jello effect for me with the EM1. I believe the Mark II is much better in this regard as it has a much faster sensor scan rate.

Leave a comment:

• Phill D
    replied

That's a pretty nice detailed reply from Olympus. Have you tried the electronic shutter?

Leave a comment:

• snerkler
    replied

Originally posted by blu-by-u View Post
    That makes sense. I think it's talking of that ProCap high and ProCap low settings. Yes, that is true to that. The Low only works with Oly's MFT lenses and the High is for all lenses. I have seen the difference when I use the Lumix 100-300 on it vs the 40-150/2.8.
    I don't own any Panny lenses so can't comment tbh. However, the real time view vs previous frame view isn't to do with pro capture. The EM1 doesn't have pro capture anyway, and with the EM1-II it's purely the difference between shooting continuous high and continuous low, as it is on the EM1

Leave a comment:

• blu-by-u
    replied

That makes sense. I think it's talking of that ProCap high and ProCap low settings. Yes, that is true to that. The Low only works with Oly's MFT lenses and the High is for all lenses. I have seen the difference when I use the Lumix 100-300 on it vs the 40-150/2.8.

Leave a comment:

• snerkler
    replied

Think I fall under that group that didn't notice that lag. Let me view it again over the weekend.
    If you don't notice it I wouldn't go looking for it if I were you, it's like anything else once you see it you can't un-see it Being used to DSLR is was obvious straight away to me, but if it's not then I'd say don't worry about it.

I have been in communication with Olympus this week to see if the Mark II behaves the same way, and unfortunately they confirmed that it did. That being said, continuous low is still 10fps with mechanical shutter which is more than adequate for me so I think I'll be upgrading at some point.

For those that are interested, this is the reply from Olympus

Screen Shot 2019-01-31 at 14.11.03 by TDG-77, on Flickr

Leave a comment:

• blu-by-u
    replied

Think I fall under that group that didn't notice that lag. Let me view it again over the weekend.

Leave a comment:

• snerkler
    replied

Turn off that Preview. With the Preview OFF, the EVF behaves like a DSLR. the LAG is not noticeable. That PREVIEW after shooting really interrupt the shooting and you may even totally miss everything. I have it OFF all the time as I cannot afford to miss the action. I do not have my camera with me at the moment, but I remember it's at the last selection just below the CARD format function. (EM1mk2) I cannot remember if they have changed the setting position.
    Preview is off. It's documented on the web if you look around that in continuous high you actually see the previous image rather than a real time view. It's the same with the Sony A7's in the higher frame rates. As I said, it's only marginal as you're shooting at 9fps so is only ever going to be 1/9th second behind, and some folk won't even notice it which is probably why you have to dig around to find this out I can't say whether this is true for the EM1-II though (I've emailed Olympus to find out), but with the EM1 you can certainly see the difference between Continuous Hi and Continuous lo when panning, even if you set similar frame rates for each. In continuous hi the view is always a frame behind.

Leave a comment:

• blu-by-u
    replied

Turn off that Preview. With the Preview OFF, the EVF behaves like a DSLR. the LAG is not noticeable. That PREVIEW after shooting really interrupt the shooting and you may even totally miss everything. I have it OFF all the time as I cannot afford to miss the action. I do not have my camera with me at the moment, but I remember it's at the last selection just below the CARD format function. (EM1mk2) I cannot remember if they have changed the setting position.

Leave a comment:

• snerkler
    replied

Cracking photos

Just posted this on another thread, but here's with regards to what I mean about viewing real time is that with continuous/sequential high the image you see in the viewfinder is the shot you've just taken, so you are always behind the action so to speak. Granted at 9fps on the EM1 that's only potentially 1/9th behind (plus blackout) but when you're panning cars at 120+mph from a close distance that can make a difference. With continuous low you are seeing the actual live view through the viewfinder (barring the tiny EVF lag) and so it's much closer to what you'd see when shooting with a DSLR. There's still blackout, but you obviously get that with DSLR too and I'm used to that, it doesn't interrupt me following the target. Not seeing an 'up to date' image in the viewfinder makes this very difficult for me. I'm sure with practice you just get used to it and make allowances, and if you've never used to DSLR you won't know any different, but as I swap from DSLR to M4/3 it's not an easy transition.

Leave a comment:

• blu-by-u
    replied

I am not sure how or what technique you are using but here is how I do it.

The settings are as the others have mentioned in The frame rate is set to high at the expense of the battery life but I have switched the preview to OFF. I do not get a preview. The LCD just continues displaying the scene.

I usually use MF and I have it lock to a certain distant as I find the CAF not a reliable.

OR

I sometimes use SAF. When using SAF, Tap the shutter as you frame the moving subject and PRESS when you are satisfied what you want to capture. Just remember to continue a good follow thru.

Taken at Super GT @ Buriram Thailand, 2017

Olympus E-M1MarkII 40-150mm F2.8 ƒ/6.3 57.0 mm 1/125 ISO 200

MotoGP at Sepang, Malaysia, 2017

OLYMPUS M.40-150mm F2.8 ƒ/5.0 150.0 mm 1/160 ISO 200

Bromo 2018

Olympus E-M1MarkII LUMIX G VARIO 45-200/F4.0-5.6 ƒ/5.1 128.0 mm 1/125 ISO 200

Olympus E-M1MarkII LUMIX G VARIO 45-200/F4.0-5.6 ƒ/10.0 61.0 mm 1/30 ISO 200

This is done with a EM5mk1. It's a continuous sequence of 6 photos stitched together.

Leave a comment:

• snerkler
    replied

Originally posted by Olybirder View Post
    Sequential Low has the advantage of adjusting the focus between frames. With High it is fixed at the value of the first frame.

Ron
    I thought AF was no longer fixed in continuous hi (9fps and less) after one of the major updates?

Leave a comment:

• Olybirder
    replied

Sequential Low has the advantage of adjusting the focus between frames. With High it is fixed at the value of the first frame.

Ron

Leave a comment:

Working...
X