Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WARNING: E-M1 Camera body eyelet has come away from camera body!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WARNING: E-M1 Camera body eyelet has come away from camera body!

Ricoh, the problem was, with the mount missing, there were holes into the body which would allow the wet in. I did think of filling it up with epoxy resin though.
    David

Comment

I've just had a similar experience with an old E-M1 which I bought used. the right hand mound detached from the camera body, and there is no sign of the two screws, though some rattling. Fortunately it happened when the camera was supported (I was pulling it out of the camera bag ) so no damage. But disappointing. I don't feel like attempting the repair. Seems like a design / quality control fault.

Comment

I find bad design so annoying. It wouldn't take much imagination to make the design fail-safe.
        Steve

on flickr

Comment

I don't suppose there's any chance that Olympus would repair it at their own cost, given that it appears to be a design fault and a regular known problem? It's quite an old camera, bought used, not in warranty.

Comment

Originally posted by RobEW View Post
            I don't suppose there's any chance that Olympus would repair it at their own cost, given that it appears to be a design fault and a regular known problem? It's quite an old camera, bought used, not in warranty.
            It's only my opinion - maybe shared by others, especially those who have trashed their cameras - that the eyelets should be fail safe (in respect of a single point failure) so you could write to them offering your opinion, but they're likely to suggest assembly error or the eyelet design being 'fit for purpose' based on a life expectation of 'X' hours that's been exceeded based on the age of the camera.
            Steve

on flickr

Comment

You can try, but don't get your hopes up. As second hand, you don't know its treatment in the past. But the EM1 did seem to have that failure as standard.

If you are going to stick with the camera, maybe a professional repair might be best...Good luck..

Comment

Oddly, I find that when registering products on the MyOlympus website, it asks for a purchase date, and doesn't specify that this has to be from new, so I innocently put in the date when I purchased the device, used, and it then populates the warranty date field with a date 2 years later. I'm not trying to mislead, but - if they honour a warranty to that date - seem to be getting more than I imagined. Can there really be such a loophole? No proof of purchase date requested at all ...

Comment

Comment

Ah - I see. Maybe that will happen to mine.

Comment

Oddly, I find that when registering products on the MyOlympus website, it asks for a purchase date, and doesn't specify that this has to be from new, so I innocently put in the date when I purchased the device, used, and it then populates the warranty date field with a date 2 years later. I'm not trying to mislead, but - if they honour a warranty to that date - seem to be getting more than I imagined. Can there really be such a loophole? No proof of purchase date requested at all ...

They ask for proof of purchase when you make a claim.
                      Mike
                      visit my Natural History Photos website:
                      http://www.botanicdesign.co.uk/Natur...story/home.htm

Comment

Very poor, not something that should ever fail under normal circumstances.
                        Considering its a known condition the least they could do is repair it FOC.

Canon did free repairs and still do I believe with the 5D and the detaching mirror fault. Fuji replaced the constantly falling off eyecup (and associated EVF assembly) on my X-Pro2 when it was out of warranty.
                        Both of the above were recognised failures and the companies concerned did the honourable thing.
                        Nikon did too with the oil splatter on their D600, took them a while to accept it though.

Comment

Originally posted by MJ224 View Post
                          You can try, but don't get your hopes up. As second hand, you don't know its treatment in the past. But the EM1 did seem to have that failure as standard.

If you are going to stick with the camera, maybe a professional repair might be best...Good luck..
                          They appear to have done it for nothing. I sent it in at their cost, had an acknowledgement to say they'd received it and would consult me if they had any questions, and now have a text to say it's on its way back. Looking forward to its return, as I've heard they tend to give it a sensor clean and general tidy up as well. Though as I now have a used E-M1 II it will only be used as a spare body (or perhaps even sold on).

Comment

Good luck with the repair. I have sent Oly's back for repair (EPL5 & lenses) and have found in return they has been thoroughly serviced (as far as I can see).

Comment

Well - I have it back. Not sure how I would know whether it has been serviced; the receipt only mentions the repair. I think the exterior has been cleaned; not sure about the sensor. Now I have to reinstate all my settings and MySets. Still it's very pleasing to have a fix done on an old camera for nothing - albeit from a fault such equipment shouldn't have.

Comment

It just happened to me. Luckily I had the the camera fitted to my refractor scope, in turn mounted on a tripod, setup carried on shoulder. I remember taking the last photo and then walking some 100 meters back to the car and much to my surprise the camera strap was now dangling.

I suppose I should seal the holes to avoid dust/dirt/water to enter the body? Is there a risk having two screws lose inside the body, causing short circuit or damaging the sensor or shutter?

(No, I am not going to pay Olympus for a repair).

My Gallery on 500px

Comment

Working...
                                X