Lots of Noise On Long Exposures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lots of Noise On Long Exposures

Well spotted and thanks... Pity we have to find out like this... Far better for olympus to use our regi stered email addresses when we log purchases for warranty that they email us all and tell us about this and an easy use guide to installing it!
    Who am I to tell olympus how to look after buyers? A customer!

Comment

Originally posted by jamsa View Post
      Well spotted and thanks... Pity we have to find out like this... Far better for olympus to use our regi stered email addresses when we log purchases for warranty that they email us all and tell us about this and an easy use guide to installing it!
      Bearing in mind that this was on the 4/3 rumors site and is quoting the facebook page of Olympus Russia, I assume that this is not an official press release. I am sure that if and when the update is released officially Olympus' communication with customers will be much better. I hope so, anyway.

Ron

Comment

Originally posted by Olybirder View Post
        Bearing in mind that this was on the 4/3 rumors site and is quoting the facebook page of Olympus Russia, I assume that this is not an official press release. I am sure that if and when the update is released officially Olympus' communication with customers will be much better. I hope so, anyway.

Ron
        Fingers crossed Ron!

Regards

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Olybirder View Post
          I am sure that if and when the update is released officially Olympus' communication with customers will be much better. I hope so, anyway.

Ron
          I don't recall Olympus ever contacting customers to advise them of a firmware update. It's been down to word-of-mouth and constant checking of web sites.
          Stephen

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site

Comment

Originally posted by StephenL View Post
            I don't recall Olympus ever contacting customers to advise them of a firmware update. It's been down to word-of-mouth and constant checking of web sites.
            I don't expect Olympus to contact me personally via email but I think it is possible that there will be notification on sites such as this via Olympus UK and Ian. Let's see what happens tomorrow (if anything.) Fingers crossed.

Ron

Comment

No, but it would surely be possible to send out a round-robin to every registered E-M1 user who had opted to receive mailings from Olympus?

DP Review usually seems to get such info before anyone else.
              Stephen

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site

Comment

If you were hoping for less noise with Noise Reduction OFF, then I don't think that will necessarily be improved, but this is what has been updated in 1.1.

* Compensation for chromatic aberration is supported when using the E-M1 and Panasonic’s LUMIX G VARIO 14-140mm/F3.5-5.6 ASPH./POWER O.I.S. (H-FS14140) together.
                * Stabilization of shooting in the Sports mode and Children mode of the SCN mode or C-AF has been improved.
                * Live bulb image quality while noise reduction is on has been improved.
                * Improved AF operation.
                Found here.
                Ross
                I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
                Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
                Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
                Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
                Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
                Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

Hi All,

Bad news with the software update. I have tested and you need to use NR to get rid of the noise. It does a better job than than before the update.

So a 2 minute exposure takes 4 minutes.

Which basically means the EM1 is not as good as the EM5 for long exposures. I somehow doubt that this can fixed and is probably to do with the new sensor. I do not see Olympus having a recall and changing everyone's sensor!

What bothers me, is Olympus must have carried out tests, how come they didn't find this? For those of us who believed that Olympus would make a better camera and bought it blindly this is very sad. Of course in almost every other aspect it is very good and better than the EM5. But I believe from other tests that I have carried out, low light also shows noise. Which again the EM5 didn't.

I am photographing a friend's Daughter's wedding in February. Unless Olympus come up with a solution I will have no option but to keep my Nikon D3S and fast lenses for the evening shots. I could buy an EM5, but having just sold mine, it seems an odd thing to do!

Feeling a bit gutted at the moment and wondering if the camera is fit for purpose. Really not sure what to do and will have to sleep on it.

Best regards

Chris

Comment

Sorry to here this Chris but reading the firmware change doc suggests that they have not got to the bottom of this issue. It only reports an improvement using NR. My own black dots problem has not been resolved either but there is slight improvement.

I also notice that the EM5 (I did not get one) was on version 1.7 which shows 7 updates in 15 months which shows that we may all have to be very patient with this new "beautiful system".
                    John

OM-D E-M1, 12-40 f2.8 Pro, Tamron 14-150mm f5.8, E5, E3, Zuiko 50-200mm SWD, Zuiko 12-60mm SWD, Zuiko ED 70-300mm f5.6, 50mmf2, Zuiko ED 9-18mm f5.6, Sigma 50-500mm f6.3, EC14, EC20, RM-1, VA-1

Comment

Its a new sensor, new design and us early uptakers are the beta testers just the same as most new model early uptakers are.
                      I know with the Fuji X-Pro1 its taken a long time to get it sorted out firmware wise and even now we're waiting for next weeks update that will finally fix the frame lines in the OVF issue and also histogram issues in manual mode.
                      The main thing was that they listened to the users and kept working on refining the firmware to get the best out of the camera, if Olympus have the same ethos and listen to the feedback they get from us and keep working on refining the firmware then I don't see any problems, problems only occur when the manufacturer stops listening and abandons work on refining the firmware on the model concerned.
                      In fact, in fuji's favour here is the fact that though replacement models for some camera's have been released (X100s, X-E2) they have still continued to work on and refine the previous models firmware.
                      I can only hope Olympus do the same.

Comment

Originally posted by magicaxeman View Post
                        Its a new sensor, new design and us early uptakers are the beta testers just the same as most new model early uptakers are.
                        I know with the Fuji X-Pro1 its taken a long time to get it sorted out firmware wise and even now we're waiting for next weeks update that will finally fix the frame lines in the OVF issue and also histogram issues in manual mode.
                        The main thing was that they listened to the users and kept working on refining the firmware to get the best out of the camera, if Olympus have the same ethos and listen to the feedback they get from us and keep working on refining the firmware then I don't see any problems, problems only occur when the manufacturer stops listening and abandons work on refining the firmware on the model concerned.
                        In fact, in fuji's favour here is the fact that though replacement models for some camera's have been released (X100s, X-E2) they have still continued to work on and refine the previous models firmware.
                        I can only hope Olympus do the same.
                        It was a pleasant surprise when the ZD70-300 lens had an update in Feb 2012 when all the other 4/3's lenses hadn't been updated since 2010. I think this Pro model E-M1 will be given a higher priority & attention than their lower models & giving them feedback (if done in a constructive way) will help to get any issues attended to (if possible).
                        Ross
                        I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
                        Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
                        Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
                        Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
                        Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
                        Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

Working...
                        X