Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    Re: EM-1 Lock-up Information

I agree with both Stephen and Brian, but the Japanese are not alone in this. I have met this with German companies too.

Also not all Japanese camera manufacturer's have this policy either. Fuji are well known for their responsiveness to try and meet their customer suggestions and deal with any reported design issues.

Finally it is a matter of marketing risk and this is where statistics play a vital role. If the most reported problem comes from an area of lowest sales, the risk is deemed to me minimal! This factor plays a more important factor when the company concerned is not financially healthy.

Leave a comment:

• brian1208
    replied

Good point Stephen, I worked with them for many years and you are spot on here
    They won't publicly admit to an issue, or having difficulties sorting it, until they actually have a solution
    (I once spent 6 weeks working in a Yokohama shipyard trying to persuade them we had solved their problem. I was only invited to meet with the top team the day before I returned to the UK as, at that point they had double checked everything I had said and done and finally agreed the problem was indeed solved. Until then I was not recognised as having been in the yard )

Let's hope the answer is found and implemented soon

Leave a comment:

• StephenL
    replied

Yes, good service.

After speaking with Mark last weekend, I genuinely believe that Olympus are trying hard to solve the problem. The trouble is the Japanese culture. They won't publicly admit to an issue, or having difficulties sorting it, until they actually have a solution. That doesn't mean they're not working on it.

Leave a comment:

• brian1208
    replied

fingers crossed that will sort it for you John (good service by LCE and Olympus)

Leave a comment:

• Bikie John
    replied

After reporting a truly awful day of lockups to Olympus three weeks ago (I already had a problem thread open with them) they agreed that it needed replacing. Rather than send it back and wait for a new one I spoke to London Camera Exchange, where I bought it. They spoke to their Oly rep and he agreed (I have no idea whether arm-twisting was involved ) and they got a newer 12-40 kit in. I went and swapped this morning. Serial number is a lot higher so it looks as if it could be from a newer batch.

I've tried a few shots with a few lenses and it has behaved, so it will get baptised in anger at the next rugby match. I may be kidding myself but the shutter seems to sound quite different on this one. It's going to be hard photographing the action with fingers crossed while simultaneously stroking the rabbit's foot, but hey, you do what you must.

This post might look familiar - I've copied it to the other two threads we are currently running on this.

Ciao ... John

Leave a comment:

• shigger
    replied

My E-M1 locked up for the second time yesterday shooting in C-AF in burst L mode which interestingly were the same settings which caused the lockup a few months ago ! I was shooting birds here coming to a feeding station and the focus was locking in and out probably due to lack of contrast but otherwise was taking sharp images when it suddenly froze and I had to reinsert the battery. The battery was probably at around half charge and I use a fast memory card shooting in raw. If it happens again I'll contact Olympus support I guess but I'm hoping it's a software/firmware fix but when ?!

Leave a comment:

• brian1208
    replied

could be?

We still need to hear from Olympus

Leave a comment:

• dh202
    replied

Originally posted by brian1208 View Post
    When my first EM-1 failed because of repeated lock-ups + IS failure Olympus replaced it within a week, (with a new body) without debate or problem
    That is because they were taking in cameras to disect and see if they could identify the cause of these "malfunctions"

And your camera may have been tested as faulty, where on others, they could not duplicate a "malfunction" so the camera was returned !

Leave a comment:

• brian1208
    replied

The main reason though why I have not followed this course of action is that I have registered for the Service plus: designated hotline (which I have used), fast lane repair they say 3 days, personal pickup service
    Me too, it does seem unfortunate the way you are being treated particularly in light of

Olympus know there is a fault they do not know how to fix it, they say its not a faulty batch so are reluctant to exchange
    which would seem a clear reason to provide you with a new one (rather than attempt a repair) as that may well be OK (unless they now believe it is a fault common to ALL EM-1?)

Leave a comment:

• birdboy
    replied

Originally posted by Johnheatingman
    Birdboy, I assume by the above you have been communicating directly with Olympus. I wonder what the result would be if you simply returned the camera to the store where you purchased it and asked for a repair or replacement under the terms of the Sale Of Goods Act. It would mean being without the camera and supposedly the retailer would be obliged to return it to Olympus for repair.

Just a thought, because as the camera is under warranty and definitely faulty, you should be covered by the Sale Of Goods Act which as I understand it, is the responsibility of the retailer not the manufacturer.

Maybe other members are more conversant with this Act than I am or possibly a word with Citizens Advice may be worth while.

Regards,

John
    This is something I have been thinking about. I am concerned however that if I took it back to where I brought it from I would not see the camera for some considerable time. I have resisted this because I have had wanted to use the camera for my last holiday and am awaiting for a suitable gap in the need for me to use the camera.

The main reason though why I have not followed this course of action is that I have registered for the Service plus: designated hotline (which I have used), fast lane repair they say 3 days, personal pickup service.

Olympus know there is a fault they do not know how to fix it, they say its not a faulty batch so are reluctant to exchange it. I have no desire to go marching into the shop where I brought it quoting Sales of goods act at this stage.

I am trying to be understanding and patient and although it seems unfair that some in the states are getting exchanges I wonder how many continue to experience lockups with their exchanged camera. On the other hand unless Oly have those cameras that are experiencing lockups how can they say it is not a manufacturing/batch problem unless they have experienced the lockups for themselves so know its a design problem?

For me I would prefer to have a camera that had been fixed of the lockup or my money back.

Leave a comment:

• brian1208
    replied

When my first EM-1 failed because of repeated lock-ups + IS failure Olympus replaced it within a week, (with a new body) without debate or problem

Leave a comment:

• StephenL
    replied

Originally posted by birdboy View Post
    I have asked Chris Dale the same question too so I totally agree with this.

I wonder how many of those on this forum who have experienced lockups have reported it to Oly that could explain the difference between Oly's figure and that on this forum if they have not?
    I do know that some on this forum are/were reluctant to communicate with Olympus for their own personal reasons.

But how else are Olympus able to gauge the extent of the problem?

Leave a comment:

• birdboy
    replied

Originally posted by brian1208 View Post
    I asked Chris Dale if it were possible to get a a statement on this problem from Olympus and he tells me

"I have put forward your request to our technical manager and he has forwarded it on to head office for consideration"

I guess it would do no harm if a few more of us asked the same question (otherwise how are they to know we need an answer?)
    I have asked Chris Dale the same question too so I totally agree with this.

I wonder how many of those on this forum who have experienced lockups have reported it to Oly that could explain the difference between Oly's figure and that on this forum if they have not?

Leave a comment:

• brian1208
    replied

I do hope that do not have to wait that long for a statement from Olympus.
    I asked Chris Dale if it were possible to get a a statement on this problem from Olympus and he tells me

"I have put forward your request to our technical manager and he has forwarded it on to head office for consideration"

I guess it would do no harm if a few more of us asked the same question (otherwise how are they to know we need an answer?)

Leave a comment:

• StephenL
    replied

Originally posted by dh202 View Post
    It only took a year and 1/4 and pending class action lawsuits to get the response that they now offer.!
    Olympus is replacing defective cameras right now !
    If anyone has a problem ...send it in , or quit bellyaching about it !

David
    That may well be the position in the States. Not as far as I'm aware in Europe.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X