No announcement yet.

So, is the AF better with firmware 3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: So, is the AF better with firmware 3?

I felt confident to try C-AF with some grey-headed flying fox (fruit bats) with some reasonable success (AF 5 x 5).

K7238988-cr by Ross, on Flickr

Ross
    I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
    Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
    Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
    Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
    Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

Re: So, is the AF better with firmware 3?

Originally posted by Tordan58 View Post
      Nice Barn owl, Ron.

Now to the topic. I updated the FW to 3.0 and put it to test. Strong gusty winds were prevailing, meaning near perfect conditions for action down by the shore and some (at times) challenging BIF.

Basically I tested using both the 5x5 and 11x11 AF points, center AF priority. Used the focus limiter set to 35 meters to make sure I would not take these long distance shots that I would delete anyway. I came hone with some 1000 shots in total, I believe I have a sample population large enough for a fair assessment of the results.

Immediately after I started shooting I felt the behavior had changed. It is hard to explain in words, an attempt would be "the camera is better at re-acquiring focus after losing it". Before usually only the first or last shot/s in a sequence of say 5 shots would be in focus, if/when camera lost focus then it would have been a lost cause.

Cheers
      Tord
      In the Foto Fair I have uploaded a sequence demonstrating how good the CAF is at maintaining focus.

Link: https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthr...322#post486322

My Gallery on 500px

Comment

Working...
      X