Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Firmware Update

Originally posted by DerekW View Post
    I was led to believe that at Version upgrades the data locations cannot be guaranteed just in case new data fields have been inserted into the middle of the file rather than at the end.
    What you were led to believe used to be true. You are thinking of the reason why major version changes on the older cameras lost the settings.

The E-M1 II, and the improved updater, specifically addressed this issue. Your settings will not be lost. What actually happens now is that the updater reads the current settings from the camera and writes them to your hard disk, then it does the update and that still loses all the settings, just like before. But then it reads the settings file from the disk and applies it to the camera, adjusting it as needed to match the new firmware.

Comment

Here's the full list of changes for formware 2.0:

Release Date: 2/28/2018
      Version: 2.0
      • New art filter [Bleach Bypass] has been added.
      • Possible to use focus stacking photography with "M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 12-100mm F4.0 IS PRO".
      • Small targets have been added to AF target mode.
      • Possible to set a maximum of 35 pre-shutter frames for Pro Capture shooting.
      • Display has been improved to show that Pro Capture shooting is recording.
      • "Flicker Scan" has been added so it is possible to reduce flickering by fine adjustment of shutter speed while looking at the live view when using electronic shutter.
      • Fisheye compensation photography has been added for use of M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 8mm F1.8 Fisheye PRO. You can view the effects in live view while shooting images.
      • Possible to set zoom ratio during playback. Also, added pixel equivalence display to zoom ratio.
      • Pro Capture shooting is available for additional lenses.
      • Display of remaining battery power has been improved.
      • Response when assigning AF to AEL/AFL button has been improved.
      • Stability of camera operation when using OLYMPUS Capture has been improved.
      • Stability of image stabilizer operation when shooting video has been improved.
      • Performance of C-AF when shooting still images has been improved.
      • Color reproduction of photographed images has been improved.
      • Stability of operation when shooting still images has been improved.
      • Corrected issue of autofocus (AF) function not operating correctly when using the "LEICA DG ELMARIT 200mm F2.8 / POWER O.I.S. (H-ES200)" interchangeable lens produced by Panasonic.

Red text is just me highlighting what I'm most interested in.

Comment

Originally posted by Growltiger View Post
        What you were led to believe used to be true. You are thinking of the reason why major version changes on the older cameras lost the settings.

The E-M1 II, and the improved updater, specifically addressed this issue. Your settings will not be lost. What actually happens now is that the updater reads the current settings from the camera and writes them to your hard disk, then it does the update and that still loses all the settings, just like before. But then it reads the settings file from the disk and applies it to the camera, adjusting it as needed to match the new firmware.
        The shutter speed in shutter priority never seems to get restored after an update. Maybe that will be corrected with v2.0

Comment

Originally posted by TonyR View Post
          Here's the full list of changes for formware 2.0:

Release Date: 2/28/2018
          Version: 2.0
          • New art filter [Bleach Bypass] has been added.
          • Possible to use focus stacking photography with "M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 12-100mm F4.0 IS PRO".
          • Small targets have been added to AF target mode.
          • Possible to set a maximum of 35 pre-shutter frames for Pro Capture shooting.
          • Display has been improved to show that Pro Capture shooting is recording.
          • "Flicker Scan" has been added so it is possible to reduce flickering by fine adjustment of shutter speed while looking at the live view when using electronic shutter.
          • Fisheye compensation photography has been added for use of M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 8mm F1.8 Fisheye PRO. You can view the effects in live view while shooting images.
          • Possible to set zoom ratio during playback. Also, added pixel equivalence display to zoom ratio.
          • Pro Capture shooting is available for additional lenses.
          • Display of remaining battery power has been improved.
          • Response when assigning AF to AEL/AFL button has been improved.
          • Stability of camera operation when using OLYMPUS Capture has been improved.
          • Stability of image stabilizer operation when shooting video has been improved.
          • Performance of C-AF when shooting still images has been improved.
          • Color reproduction of photographed images has been improved.
          • Stability of operation when shooting still images has been improved.
          • Corrected issue of autofocus (AF) function not operating correctly when using the "LEICA DG ELMARIT 200mm F2.8 / POWER O.I.S. (H-ES200)" interchangeable lens produced by Panasonic.

Red text is just me highlighting what I'm most interested in.
          Those are my top items as well. I wonder what the below is referring to?

Stability of operation when shooting still images has been improved.

Comment

Originally posted by pdk42 View Post
            All very nice to have I'm sure, but will they have improved CAF?
            Maybe, but someone has reported "also PEN-F update 3.0 available". Does that tickle your fancy as well?
            Ross
            I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
            Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
            Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
            Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
            Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
            Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

Originally posted by hoodlum View Post
              The shutter speed in shutter priority never seems to get restored after an update. Maybe that will be corrected with v2.0
              And the aperture in A mode.
              And the shutter speed and the aperture in M mode.
              Maybe they will fix it.
              The workaround is quite fast (example for A mode). Go into the menu. Load the C setting. Set the dial to A and aperture to what you want. Save the C setting.

Comment

Originally posted by Growltiger View Post
                I think this assertion is, as yet, unproven - since v2.0 will be the first major update.
                It may be that if the menu settings are reorganised or contain new parameters the settings file restore process won't work. IIRC when the Camera Updater settings save/restore feature was first announced, Olympus did not commit to it working after all f/w updates.

Hopefully this concern will be unwarranted, but I would err on the side of caution by recording my settings - or else wait for others to do the update and then report on whether their settings were successfully restored.
                Chris

Comment

Originally posted by pdk42 View Post
                  But what the hell does "- Performance of C-AF when shooting still images has been improved" actually mean??? I really get frustrated that something as important and complex as C-AF is so poorly explained by the manufacturers. Surely it can't be hard or expensive to get a technical writer together with a photographer and the engineers to produce something more that "Loose and Tight" as the explanation! We could do with a really good article written which talks about real photographer use-cases (sports, motor sports, BIF, aircraft, ...) and explains how the AF will work with them.

Arghhh....
                  Paul,
                  I agree wholeheartedly. Perhaps those forum members visiting the Photography Show next month should all resolve to give the Olympus Sales managers some serious earache on this topic.
                  It probably won't change anything but at least we will have tried.
                  Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Gwyver View Post
                    Paul,
                    I agree wholeheartedly. Perhaps those forum members visiting the Photography Show next month should all resolve to give the Olympus Sales managers some serious earache on this topic.
                    It probably won't change anything but at least we will have tried.
                    So far there have been different stories coming out from different 'Visionaries' about how these features work and how they should be used (e.g. Tesni Ward and Scott Bourne relating to bird photography and use and effect of loose/tight lock; also contrasted with our own experience), so it would be good to get a consistent view!
                    Regards,
                    Mark

------------------------------
                    http://www.microcontrast.com
                    Too much Oly gear.
                    Panasonic GM5, 12-32, 12-35, 15, 35-100, Laowa 7.5.
                    Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.

Comment

Originally posted by hoodlum View Post
                      I got a support request feedback from Olympus when I first had the camera, and this was on the list of items to be included.... we'll see if they remembered!
                      Paul

I didn’t get where I am today....

Comment

Anyone updated yet? Any unforeseen bugs? I will only update 1 week after official release.
                        * Henry
                        * Malaysia

All my garbage so far.

Comment

Originally posted by blu-by-u View Post
                          Anyone updated yet? Any unforeseen bugs? I will only update 1 week after official release.
                          Its not available until 28th Feb
                          Dave

My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by wornish View Post
                            Its not available until 28th Feb
                            Only 2 sleeps to go.....ooh the excitement!

Comment

Originally posted by mack100 View Post
                              Only 2 sleeps to go.....ooh the excitement!
                              Only one for me!
                              Ross
                              I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
                              Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
                              Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
                              Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
                              Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
                              Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

Originally posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
                                Only one for me!
                                Looking forward to your early report then so the rest of us know whether it is safe or not to upgrade the firmware!

Comment

Working...
                                X