• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Firmware Update

What!? No new art filters?!

Looks promising though (I hope).

Ross
    I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
    Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
    Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
    Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
    Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

I just saw that too well spotted Chris. Missed those small focus points from the mk1. It will be interesting to see how they are improving the IBIS, it seems pretty impressive as it is.
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/flip_photo_flickr/

Comment

Originally posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
        What!? No new art filters?!

Looks promising though (I hope).

According to the MyOlympus site YES there will be a new art filter included.
        - Bleach Bypass. has been added.

Some other good stuff as well

Here is the full list :

Release Date: 2/28/2018
        Version: 2.0
        New art filter [Bleach Bypass] has been added.
        Possible to use focus stacking photography with "M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 12-100mm F4.0 IS PRO".
        Small targets have been added to AF target mode.
        Possible to set a maximum of 35 pre-shutter frames for Pro Capture shooting.
        Display has been improved to show that Pro Capture shooting is recording.
        "Flicker Scan" has been added so it is possible to reduce flickering by fine adjustment of shutter speed while looking at the live view when using electronic shutter.
        Fisheye compensation photography has been added for use of M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 8mm F1.8 Fisheye PRO. You can view the effects in live view while shooting images.
        Possible to set zoom ratio during playback. Also, added pixel equivalence display to zoom ratio.
        Pro Capture shooting is available for additional lenses.
        Display of remaining battery power has been improved.
        Response when assigning AF to AEL/AFL button has been improved.
        Stability of camera operation when using OLYMPUS Capture has been improved.
        Stability of image stabilizer operation when shooting video has been improved

You can only access this info if your camera is registered at MyOlympus.com, otherwise I think its hidden.
        Dave

My Flickr

Comment

Wow, that's well hidden away! Interesting that the firmware has now jumped to v2.0 too!
          Chris

Black OM-D E-M1 MkII, Silver PEN-F, Black Lumix GX7, and too many lenses!

Comment

hope dave,s list is right as about 4 of those updates will suit me with my pl 100-400 lens set up for birding etc, will hold fire till reports are good on update procedure as it seems rather a lot to me to do in 1 hit.

Comment

As it is a new version it will mean that we have to enter all the settings into the camera so make sure you remember the settings.
              This space for rent

Comment

All very nice to have I'm sure, but will they have improved CAF?
                Paul
                E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
                flickr
                Portfolio Site
                Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by pdk42 View Post
                  All very nice to have I'm sure, but will they have improved CAF?
                  I was surprised there was no mention of this. Olympus also needs to improved the low contract AF as I believe this is causing focus acquisitions well outside of the selected focus box.

Comment

Originally posted by DerekW View Post
                    As it is a new version it will man that we have to enter all the settings into the camera so make sure you remember the settings.
                    Doesn't the E-M1 MkII remember your settings before updating the firmware and then reinstall it again for you?
                    Chris

Black OM-D E-M1 MkII, Silver PEN-F, Black Lumix GX7, and too many lenses!

Comment

Originally posted by DerekW View Post
                      As it is a new version it will man that we have to enter all the settings into the camera so make sure you remember the settings.
                      No, that is not so. It was true of the older cameras but is not true of the E-M1 II. The settings will be saved during the update and restored afterwards.

Comment

I was led to believe that at Version upgrades the data locations cannot be guaranteed just in case new data fields have been inserted into the middle of the file rather than at the end.
                        This space for rent

Comment

Apparently there is a rendering issue on the my Olympus website and there are a few more lines that dont show up on the screen.

Take a look at their facebook page here for the full list.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/em1II/

Here is the posting from

It seems people here are a bit confused regarding the cropping of the last sentence and some have hoped for more, e.g. improved C-AF. This is a gui/rendering bug on the My Olumpus website. The site does not show all the text. As seen here from the Developer Tools in Chrome, there are indeed other news in the 2.0 firmware

You can also view this in the html source for the page by right-clicking the text and choose "View Source". This is all the text copied from the html source:

- New art filter [Bleach Bypass] has been added.
                          - Possible to use focus stacking photography with "M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 12-100mm F4.0 IS PRO".
                          - Small targets have been added to AF target mode.
                          - Possible to set a maximum of 35 pre-shutter frames for Pro Capture shooting.
                          - Display has been improved to show that Pro Capture shooting is recording.
                          - "Flicker Scan" has been added so it is possible to reduce flickering by fine adjustment of shutter speed while looking at the live view when using electronic shutter.
                          - Fisheye compensation photography has been added for use of M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 8mm F1.8 Fisheye PRO. You can view the effects in live view while shooting images.
                          - Possible to set zoom ratio during playback. Also, added pixel equivalence display to zoom ratio.
                          - Pro Capture shooting is available for additional lenses.
                          - Display of remaining battery power has been improved.
                          - Response when assigning AF to AEL/AFL button has been improved.
                          - Stability of camera operation when using OLYMPUS Capture has been improved.
                          - Stability of image stabilizer operation when shooting video has been improved.
                          - Performance of C-AF when shooting still images has been improved.
                          - Color reproduction of photographed images has been improved.
                          - Stability of operation when shooting still images has been improved.
                          - Corrected issue of autofocus (AF) function not operating correctly when using the "LEICA DG ELMARIT 200mm F2.8 / POWER O.I.S. (H-ES200)" interchangeable lens produced by Panasonic.
                          Dave

My Flickr

Comment

But what the hell does "- Performance of C-AF when shooting still images has been improved" actually mean??? I really get frustrated that something as important and complex as C-AF is so poorly explained by the manufacturers. Surely it can't be hard or expensive to get a technical writer together with a photographer and the engineers to produce something more that "Loose and Tight" as the explanation! We could do with a really good article written which talks about real photographer use-cases (sports, motor sports, BIF, aircraft, ...) and explains how the AF will work with them.

Arghhh....
                            Paul
                            E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
                            flickr
                            Portfolio Site
                            Instagram

Comment

Focus stacking with the 12-100 is nice, especially for more telephoto landscapes.
                              Regards,
                              Mark

------------------------------
                              http://www.microcontrast.com
                              Too much Oly gear.
                              Panasonic GM5, 12-32, 12-35, 15, 35-100, Laowa 7.5.
                              Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.

Comment

Originally posted by wornish View Post
                                According to the MyOlympus site YES there will be a new art filter included.
                                - Bleach Bypass. has been added.
                                Of course I was joking but it does stand for reason why that Art Filter was added since they included it in the E-M10 Mk III.

Thanks for posting the rest of the details though as I can't get to it anywhere else at this point (other than the rumour site).
                                Ross
                                I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
                                Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
                                Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
                                Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
                                Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
                                Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

Working...
                                X