• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: AF not as accurate

Originally posted by Zuiko View Post
    Absolutely love the turnstone.
    Thanks John, I'm glad you like it.

Here's another from the same sequence, cropped a tad tighter.
    Turnstone by David Goodwin, on Flickr

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by DavyG View Post
      Thanks John, I'm glad you like it.

Here's another from the same sequence, cropped a tad tighter.
      Turnstone by David Goodwin, on Flickr

Dave
      that's beautiful, but I prefer the composition of the first.
      John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Originally posted by Zuiko View Post
        that's beautiful, but I prefer the composition of the first.
        I agree John, I do like the detail in the second though.

Dave

Comment

I've not so far had a lot time with the mk ii on longer lenses where more critical focus is needed. However, I did today give my old 50-200 non-SWD (+TC) a run in the garden snapping various things that took my eye. The AF worked superbly. It hardly missed a shot and moreover with the focus limiter it's completely stopped the lens racking back and forth through its range - something that happened a lot with the mk i and which essentially made it useless for serious moving target photography.

In fact, the mk ii has given the 50-200 a new lease of life. It's a fantastic optic really. With the TC it's a 70-283 f4.0-f4.9 lens and it performs superbly even wide open. Here's a few shots as examples - not great art or BIF I know, but hopefully a taste of the 50-200.

New Buds by Paul Kaye, on Flickr

Crystal Sphere by Paul Kaye, on Flickr
          Paul
          E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
          flickr
          Portfolio Site
          Instagram

Comment

That is very interesting Paul. I have to admit that I had overlooked the usefulness of the focus limiter when used with the 50-200. I look forward to seeing some more of your shots taken with the Mk II and that lens. A slightly more challenging subject would be good.

Ron

Comment

I did a camera reset. (actually x2) as suggested by Graham_of_Rainham

Originally posted by Gwyver View Post
              Have you checked the RLS Priority settings for S-AF & C-AF? (See Cog C1).
              Also AF Limiter - Priority Release (See Cog A1) - if you're using the AF-Limiter functions.
              If these items are set to "On" - the shutter can be fired even though AF confirmation has not occurred.
              Did this as suggested. Noticed that even if you are not using the limiter, that Fire even if not is focus seems independent of the RLS Priority. So I switched it to OFF.

Originally posted by c12402 View Post
              Not sure this case is connected with the discussion, but just in case it may help....

One major enhancement to my focus rate was to set lens reset parameter to OFF (default is ON). The issue is that in the time lapse between one bird and the next, the camera frecuently enters in idle mode, and this mode reset the lens forcing it to refocus the scene, making useless to pre-focus at a given place where you are expecting the bird to stop.

I was previously assuming that this reset happens when camera is switched off, but it also happens when entering in Low power modes.
              And I set that Lens reset to OFF.

Very happy man now. the camera seems to be working as the mk1 in all.

What I have not found out is why it was behaving so badly before the reset even when the RLS Priority, the Fire even if not in focus and the lens reset was correct. What else could have made the camera behave so badly .

And I feel so silly that I did not reset the camera when I first married it.
              * Henry
              * Malaysia

All my garbage so far.

Comment

Is there any selection for P-AF (Phase) or C-AF (contrast)?
                * Henry
                * Malaysia

All my garbage so far.

Comment

Originally posted by blu-by-u View Post
                  Is there any selection for P-AF (Phase) or C-AF (contrast)?
                  Not so far as I know. My suspicion is that it uses PDAF if at all possible.
                  Paul
                  E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
                  flickr
                  Portfolio Site
                  Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by pdk42 View Post
                    Not so far as I know. My suspicion is that it uses PDAF if at all possible.
                    From this little table on the Aus site:

I'm guessing it works like the MKi seems to and used the CDAF to select the target then PDAF to keep it in focus, what I haven't worked out yet is whether it only uses the PDAF cross sensors associated with the original target area selected, or switches to all PDAF points - which is how the MKi appeared to work.... (The MKi appeared to switch to the whole double cross area when using PDAF)
                    Paul

I didn’t get where I am today....

Comment

I've been following this thread, in silence but not suffering, from blu-by-u's original post. What grabbed my attention was the mention of the Green rectangle and it's the one thing I've struggled with in (S-AF), photographing small or distant subjects. Really enjoying how C-AF works, with all the variations in focus points and had some very encouraging results.

Comment

Originally posted by bassman View Post
                        I've been following this thread, in silence but not suffering, from blu-by-u's original post. What grabbed my attention was the mention of the Green rectangle and it's the one thing I've struggled with in (S-AF), photographing small or distant subjects. Really enjoying how C-AF works, with all the variations in focus points and had some very encouraging results.
                        Ever since the mention of it using both Contrast and Phase and the lack of the smaller AF triangle, I have been assuming the pin point to me roughly the middle of that rectangle.

Have not tested how accurate the AF is in macro.

What's the problem are you encountering with the rectangle? I have been using single AF point. Have not found that multiple AF to work for me and also I have forgotten how to turn on that Predictive AF.
                        * Henry
                        * Malaysia

All my garbage so far.

Comment

Originally posted by blu-by-u View Post
                          Ever since the mention of it using both Contrast and Phase and the lack of the smaller AF triangle, I have been assuming the pin point to me roughly the middle of that rectangle.

Have not tested how accurate the AF is in macro.

Have you tried Super Spot AF - described on page 41 of the EM1 MkII manual. You appear to have to assign it to a function button to be able to use it. Seems a bit complicated at first but should be useful once you get the hang of it - might be easier to test out when using a tripod.

From the manual:

Zoom frame AF/Zoom AF ( Super Spot AF)

You can zoom in on a portion of the frame when adjusting focus. Choosing a high zoom ratio allows you to use autofocus to focus on a smaller area than is normally covered by the AF target. You can also position the focus target more precisely.
                          Maria

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Comment

Really appreciate the replies and thanks to someone's post, in a previous thread, I found you could adjust the size of the AF target (p.35 in the manual). My Fn2 button was set to magnify and purely by chance I discovered that it would change the AF target. Press once : changes from the Green rectangle to a smaller target area, whilst remaining in full image view, found immediate improvement ! press Fn2 again : fantastically small target area !! ( size adjustable via front/rear wheel) Press OK button : will return you back to the original rectangle AF target. Thanks Maria, I discovered p.41 of the manual, only last evening ... not wanting to look silly, thought I'd better check the manual before posting and your mention of a tripod very relevant. That 'Super Spot' AF target, is amazing but when I was about to photograph my very first Kingfisher, (40-150mm 2.8 + 1.4x converter, with tripod) shaking with excitement..lol), working at 14x magnification and not seeing the whole frame, was extremely difficult. I know this is all very subject dependant and this camera is easily capable of focusing on very small area. Without losing any existing features, in a future firmware update, I'd love Olympus to give the MKII a super small AF target, in the full frame EVF.

...... Mark

Comment

My first Kingfisher - Strumpshaw Fen, Norfolk ... 40-150mm 2.8 + MC-14 (approx. 100% crop) From my above post, meant to say 'without tripod' but camera supported from within bird hide.

Comment

Hi All
                                I am new to Olympus so early days yet but I am quite pleased with the camera and the 300f4 pro but I do need to find the settings that work for me focus is super fast but I do need to work on the "lose / tight " along with single point or 5 this is how I use my Canon .
                                The main different seems to be the Canon only uses the surrounding points If the centre one cant pick the target up.

The Olympus seems to jump to any of the 5 regardless .
                                Rob.

Comment

Working...
                                X