Poll on 4/3 Rumors Site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poll on 4/3 Rumors Site

The Rumors site suggests that a new E-M6 is due to be announced in February, plus "one more thing." They are conducting a poll to see what readers are hoping that "one more thing" might be. The options are:-

*Large sensor compact

*New High-end Pen

*New Budget Pen

*Full Frame OM-D

Amazingly, 35% of the 2058 votes cast so far are for a Full Frame OM-D. On what planet, in which century is that likely to happen, I ask? It would require a whole new system, not just a new body, because the existing MFT and FT lenses do not have an image circle that would cover full frame. I suppose in theory it could be done through the new association with Sony, by using a Sony mount and the existing range of Sony full frame lenses. However, I think it is about as likely as Nikon and Canon ditching their DSLR lines to go completely mirrorless or Hassleblad switching to Micro Four Thirds. I get bemused by people constantly wishing Olympus is something it isn't. If they want full frame, why don't they buy a system that is already available now?
    John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Re: Poll on 4/3 Rumors Site

Maybe it says more about the sort of people who visit rumour sites.
    It's the image that's important, not the tools used to make it.

David M's Photoblog

Comment

Originally posted by David M View Post
      Maybe it says more about the sort of people who visit rumour sites.
      Point taken, but you know.......when nothing much is happening here and you're bored.....
      John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

No chance - and no reason, as you say John. But as you know I'm firmly in the "no such thing as full frame" camp!

More likely to be a 4/3 sensor XZ-type camera.
        Stephen

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site

Comment

Originally posted by StephenL View Post
          No chance - and no reason, as you say John. But as you know I'm firmly in the "no such thing as full frame" camp!

More likely to be a 4/3 sensor XZ-type camera.
          Yes, 4/3 is full frame - for the format. Interestingly (or maybe not), the new Panasonic L100 fixed zoom compact is a crop sensor 4/3, the first of its kind!
          John

Comment

No, Olympus are surely not going to make a 35mm film sized sensor (if that is what is meant by full frame). As John says, that would require a total redesign of the lens range. It won't happen...

Maybe the m4/3 cameras should say "Full Frame" on the front then everyone would be happy. :-) The lens covers the full 4/3 frame.

Look at me, I have a full frame camera.

P
            Look, I'm an old man. I shouldn't be expected to put up with this.

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.

Comment

See some of my pictures at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tagbartok/

https://picasaweb.google.com/tagbartok/

This is to remind myself that I'm sitting indoors instead of out there taking photos!

Comment

Hark! I hear a grunting above me!
                Stephen

My Flickr site

Comment

Stephen do you wish to rephrase that
                  Ed

Live life in the slow lane.

Comment

Originally posted by snaarman View Post
                    No, Olympus are surely not going to make a 35mm film sized sensor (if that is what is meant by full frame). As John says, that would require a total redesign of the lens range. It won't happen...

Maybe the m4/3 cameras should say "Full Frame" on the front then everyone would be happy. :-) The lens covers the full 4/3 frame.

Look at me, I have a full frame camera.

P
                    I think it was a mistake to call it Micro 4/3's though. "Look at that poor sucker! He thinks his camera is great but it only has a "micro" sensor in it." It should have been something like 'Mirrorless 4/3's' instead.
                    Ross
                    I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
                    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
                    Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
                    Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
                    Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
                    Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

Originally posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
                      I think it was a mistake to call it Micro 4/3's though. "Look at that poor sucker! He thinks his camera is great but it only has a "micro" sensor in it." It should have been something like 'Mirrorless 4/3's' instead.
                      Or Super Four Thirds, or Four Thirds Plus or Four Thirds enhanced - anything to make it sound better!
                      John

Comment

Originally posted by Wee man View Post
                        Stephen do you wish to rephrase that
                        No - I can but live in hope.
                        Stephen

My Flickr site

Comment

Originally posted by Zuiko View Post
                          Or Super Four Thirds, or Four Thirds Plus or Four Thirds enhanced - anything to make it sound better!
                          Or like those scumbag real estate agents that use "magic" to describe a grotty bit of land. "Magic 4/3's"
                          Ross
                          I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
                          Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
                          Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
                          Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
                          Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
                          Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

Originally posted by StephenL View Post
                            Hark! I hear a grunting above me!
                            Would you care to expand on this comment please?

***Steve***
                            See some of my pictures at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tagbartok/

https://picasaweb.google.com/tagbartok/

This is to remind myself that I'm sitting indoors instead of out there taking photos!

Comment

Originally posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
                              Or like those scumbag real estate agents that use "magic" to describe a grotty bit of land. "Magic 4/3's"
                              Surprisingly Spacious 4/3?
                              Regards
                              Richard

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Scroll To Top Scroll To Center Scroll To Bottom