Leaked E-P3 looking promising

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaked E-P3 looking promising

The leaked photos of the E-P3 to be announced (rumoured) on the 30th June is looking like it is the PEN to have although a tilt & swivel screen would have made it even better (with the tilt screen being for the E-PL3). I haven't been tempted by any of the PENs yet (although the 14-150mm lens would make a great carry around lens), but the leaked specs are starting to look even more attractive & the Rapid focus kit & prime lenses are really starting to look attractive. Who knows, I might be trying to persuade my wife to let me get a PEN yet.
    Ross
    I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
    Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
    Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
    Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
    Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Re: Leaked E-P3 looking promising

I know that m4/3 has lots going for it ross yet somehow the format hasn't yet fired me.
    Probably because at heart I'm a little guy by average standards and I delude myself that carrying something big around enhances my image!

I am also hopelessly confused by Pen's too frequent updates and model names, so frequent that it leaves the potential buyer wondering whether he should wait a few months to see what the next Mk brings. At least with E-series we begin with E1 and follow the upgrades progressively to E-3 and E-5.

The same incomprehensible model name policy probably derives from the car industry.
    My Flickr

* mark * Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia **
    The OM-D E-M1 Mark II * OM-D M5 MkII * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3
    On post-processing: The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill

Comment

WE have both an E5 (as well as an E1 and E3) and have just got an E-PL2. This as a light carry around to avoid the need for a big bag etc etc.

It took only a short while to appreciate the concept and I an envisage the Pen being the way ahead - things required to be done, instantaneous shutter release and built in eye level view finder that shows what is happening ie a built in VF-2.
      This space for rent

Comment

If this is really it, it's quite an ugly thing to my eyes, although it may be better in black.... I don't get what they're doing with the E-PLx and E-Px though. The original E-P's had no flash, so the more P&S upgrader/consumer E-PLx series came along. Now the E-PLx is to have no flash, and the E-Px is.... but the E-PLx is to have a swivel screen, but the E-Px isn't..... why not give the E-P3 everything they can throw at it, and the E-PL3 just a bit less? I'm bamboozled....

Not that it bothers me, as I'm quite happy with my E-PL2 anyway, but I do like to follow developments.

P.S. That lens at an estimated $800-$900 is out of the question for me (doesn't really appeal, even if I had the cash), although the rumoured portrait lens (45mm F1.8) would be nice!

Comment

The fast 35 point AF intrigues me with touch screen. I can't afford another camera (yet), but I'm following the progression of technology with the new PENs which shows some promise for things to come. If they have fast focus on the SHG 4/3s lenses (& with SWD) etc, I can see the Pro PEN model not being too far away. The ISO is climbing another step & hopefully the DR etc is too. I wonder how much that grip can be modified. I think I'd prefer a taller tailored shaped one if that could be fitted (maybe something like the Pano GH2).

Some of the options do seem a little strange for the models, but the pop up flash will give the RC commander function to the E-P3 now.

Nice bit of photoshop work on that photo (well, good enough for this purpose).
          Ross
          Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.

Comment

Originally posted by DekHog View Post
            If this is really it, it's quite an ugly thing to my eyes, although it may be better in black.... I don't get what they're doing with the E-PLx and E-Px though. The original E-P's had no flash, so the more P&S upgrader/consumer E-PLx series came along. Now the E-PLx is to have no flash, and the E-Px is.... but the E-PLx is to have a swivel screen, but the E-Px isn't..... why not give the E-P3 everything they can throw at it, and the E-PL3 just a bit less? I'm bamboozled....

Not that it bothers me, as I'm quite happy with my E-PL2 anyway, but I do like to follow developments.

P.S. That lens at an estimated $800-$900 is out of the question for me (doesn't really appeal, even if I had the cash), although the rumoured portrait lens (45mm F1.8) would be nice!

I don't agree that it's ugly (although the grip looks a bit of an after-thought) but I do agree with everything else you say. The top model hasn't got a swivel screen, hmmm, I can't see the logic either.

I would have expected the E-P3 to have the swivel screen and the flash, and the E-PL3 to keep the flash but not have the swivel screen. Most odd, if these rumours are true. One thing seems clear, we are not getting the Pen we were all hoping for; nevertheless it is still a nice upgrade on existing models.
            John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

If the 12mm HG lens is weather resistant maybe the EP3 is as well ?
              I will be keen to see what the grips are as this camera really interests me.
              JOhn

Comment

Originally posted by ozzie View Post
                If the 12mm HG lens is weather resistant maybe the EP3 is as well ?
                I will be keen to see what the grips are as this camera really interests me.
                JOhn
                I doubt that, but there is no reason why the lens can't be weather proof in readiness for the Pro model. When they sold the E30 (that wasn't weather sealed) with the ZD14-54 II lens that was weather sealed, it may not have made much sense but they did (because it was an update from the E1 kit lens).
                Ross

Comment

These Photoshop jockeys get more impressive every year

Ian
                  Founder and editor of:
                  Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
                  Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
                  Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
                  Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
                  Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
                  Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
                  NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ian View Post
                    These Photoshop jockeys get more impressive every year
                    I did say "If this is really it," mind you - we may all be in for a nice surprise then, eh?

Comment

I did say "If this is really it," mind you - we may all be in for a nice surprise then, eh?
                      I'm teasing. But you can't judge everything by one picture - even if this was kosher

Ian
                      Founder and editor of:
                      Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
                      Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
                      Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
                      Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
                      Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
                      Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
                      NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X