• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tordan58
    replied
    Re: More Interest in M4/3 Recently?

Originally posted by DavidB View Post
    Does anybody know how to calculate the equivalent telephoto lens focal length/aperture of a spotting scope? (Wonder if I could justify the cost of a Swarovski scope on the grounds it would be cheaper than an Oly 150 - 450mm).
    To answer that question... first we need to agree on what you refer to with "spotting scope".

The focal length of the scope is the distance between the front lens and the point where the light rays from come sharply into view. The focal length as such is not of main interest for the user, it is rather the magnification which in turn will be impacted by the ocular used.

For observation purposes, a spotting scope is fitted with a (usually interchangeable) ocular which can either have fixed or variable focal length. Together with the spotting scope this gives the setup a certain degree of magnification. The formula is: magnification = (Focal length of scope)/(Focal length of ocular). Typical magnifications for practical field use span from about 15 to 100 times.

What I did was to test using my Nikon ED82A scope fitted with a 25x to 75x ocular, fully zoomed out at 25x. I measured the distance to the target using Google maps, got 82 meters and by counting the bricks on the targeted wall I estimated the target size to be 2.4 meters. Resulting angle of view is tan-1 (2.4/82) which is 1.67 degrees. Double checked with the specs for the scope/ocular which according to Nikon is an angle of view of 1.6 degrees which confirms my estimate.

For long focal lengths the relationship between the angle of view and focal length is linear (this is not 100% true, however the approximation is good enough for the purpose of estimating the focal length)

For reference the m.Zuiko 300mm gives an angle of view of 4.1 degrees.

We could estimate the effective focal length of the setup to be about 770mm when zoomed out. The front lens diameter is 82mm, meaning the setup aperture is about F/9.4. Zoom in the ocular fully and the values would multiply with 3.

Now, I don't know what focal length and aperture you would get by using a Swarovski camera adapter https://www.swarovskioptik.com/birdi...tx-30-p5006346, I looked for specs but could not find any. I guess it would be something between 700mm and 1500mm. Have been there myself using a similar optical device for my Nikon scope providing around 1000mm focal length. Impressive reach, but ergonomy, ease of use and image quality are inferior to using a photo lens.

Leave a comment:

• Miketoll
    replied

Originally posted by DavidB View Post
    Does anybody know how to calculate the equivalent telephoto lens focal length/aperture of a spotting scope? (Wonder if I could justify the cost of a Swarovski scope on the grounds it would be cheaper than an Oly 150 - 450mm).
    No, I don't know but had a go with digiscoping some years back. Not easy to do with careful manual focussing required plus BIF is a complete none starter. Went back to a camera with a proper telephoto lens and focussing for photography and leave my scope at home.

Leave a comment:

• DavidB
    replied

When I saw this forthcoming local event only 12 miles from home( + free - my favourite price, so I'll be going, especially as it was suggested on imagespace there may be discounts on the day) at a nature reserve, I thought Oly were targetting birders, plus macro shooters https://www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk/ev...ege-lakes.html Maybe they should get involved in RSPB optics days.

And as Vanguard will be there, I might try quizzing them about digiscoping. I think there was 2 ways when I looked into it, a camera adapter in lieu of eyepiece, or using a mount to hold the camera with a (wide angle?) lens close to a zoom eyepiece.

Leave a comment:

• wanderer
    replied

HTML Code:
    (Wonder if I could justify the cost of a Swarovski scope on the grounds it would be cheaper than an Oly 150 - 450mm).

Leave a comment:

• wanderer
    replied

I recently went on a macro course at Calumet. The course suppliers recommended Olympus, not least for in camera focus stacking.
    I was pleasantly surprised to find that 5 (including myself) of the 8 participants used Olympus. The others were 1 Canon, 1 Nikon and Sony. Unusual to see Canon and Nikon users outnumbered and struggling.
    The principal reason given for using Olympus was weight and portability. As mentioned above, older users not prepared to carry heavy loads.
    The other 4 users were from Geordie land and their camera club had at least a dozen Oly users.
    For out on the hills I would take the EM-1X with 12-100 fitted, 60mm F3.5 macro and 40-150 with 2x converter and I reckon that will cover 99.9% of what I would need. I use a Manfrotto explorer carbon fibre tripod for lightness and compactness although in camera and in lens image stabilisation probably renders the tripod a bit irrelevant.

Leave a comment:

• DavidB
    replied

Originally posted by Olybirder View Post
    A lot of the birders near me are into digiscoping. They already own nice Swarovski scopes and most of them seem to use m4/3 cameras as the (expensive) Swarovski adapters are readily available.

Leave a comment:

• Olybirder
    replied

A lot of the birders near me are into digiscoping. They already own nice Swarovski scopes and most of them seem to use m4/3 cameras as the (expensive) Swarovski adapters are readily available. The Panasonic G9 is probably the most popular choice but the Olympus E-Ms are also represented.

Ron

Leave a comment:

• Tordan58
    replied

Tom Boyer explains in this video why he switched to Olympus. In all a very positive review of the m4/3 system used for bird photography.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPmihWRyoNQ"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPmihWRyoNQ[/ame]

As I travel quite a lot the weight (and to some degree the size as well) of the equipment is a clear advantage. All the gear you need fits in a camera rucksack and you are (almost) within the cabin baggage allowance.

Leave a comment:

• royd63uk
    replied

We just need an update for auto focus accuracy now , to blow them all away.

Leave a comment:

• Melaka
    replied

I was in a hide at Lackford Lakes in late August and was surprised/pleased to see that two of the other three occupants had EM1x and 300/4. The fourth was lugging a great Canon lens around but I'd seen his wife on a previous occasion with an MFT camera.

Leave a comment:

• Bengeo
    replied

I'm seeing a lot more birders with m4/3 gear now. Others seem to be more aware of the format too. I think it helps that people like David Tipling and Andy Rouse have been promoting it. Although I'm sure Andy Rouse would get great images with a box camera ......

Leave a comment:

• sapper
    replied

Andy Rouse, https://www.andyrouse.co.uk, recently turned to Olympus, shooting with the X and 300mm Pro.
    I must say that he does have a go at folk who knock smaller sensors.

Leave a comment:

• Melaka
    replied

One should normally avoid posting comparison photos but in view of the topic and that the comparison is with non MFT kit I thought this might encourage a switch.

OOC JPG resized for uploading. OMD EM1ii with 300/4 and MC20.

Leave a comment:

• mik
    replied

Originally posted by Angelica View Post
    IDK about other people, but I wanted to get into wildlife and BIF and I found my full frame Tamron 150-600mm lens with a Nikon DSLR just too heavy to wield let alone lug around with me... so here I am a keen MFT fan and with my Panasonic 100-400mm zoom lens on the way... hopefully!
    Note: it's not to bad when the bird is walking... but when they start flapping those flappy bits and end up in the air... I just can't track them with a full frame!

One thing that possible needs saying is if you are looking to do birds in flight with a mirrorless camera you will have a fairly steep learning curve using an EVF compered with an optical viewfinder.
    With a bit of practice though it does fall into place, i started with an Panasonic GX8 and remember on occasion during the first few weeks thinking what have i done, then i pulled myself together and said you will do it, and i did.

Leave a comment:

• Angelica
    replied

IDK about other people, but I wanted to get into wildlife and BIF and I found my full frame Tamron 150-600mm lens with a Nikon DSLR just too heavy to wield let alone lug around with me... so here I am a keen MFT fan and with my Panasonic 100-400mm zoom lens on the way... hopefully!
    Note: it's not to bad when the bird is walking... but when they start flapping those flappy bits and end up in the air... I just can't track them with a full frame!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X
Scroll To Top Scroll To Center Scroll To Bottom