• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JKW
    replied
    Re: E7 and E-M7 rumours

Originally posted by Johnheatingman
    Unfortunately the above comment is possibly quite true. However, that being the case the fault lies not with the photographer or camera equipment but with the fickle nature of the general public.

These days, at sporting events, and all other events covered by the media, rows of the "White Lens Brigade" toting muscle ripping canikons equipped with humongous lenses has become the norm. It's little wonder the general public come to associate "professional photographers" with this type of equipment and to form the erronious opinion that in photography ... "size matters".

As we in this forum all appreciate, the only thing that should concern the general public (clients) is the quality of the end product and not the equipment used to obtain it.

Rant over

John

Just so that I'm not being misunderstood, I wasn't meaning to belittle m4/3 and agree that it is a misconception. I was merely pointing out an observation.

Cheers.

Leave a comment:

• David Morison
    replied

Originally posted by Greytop View Post
    For other wildlife instances try some old quality manual focus glass (in my case the Tokina 300mm f/2.8) on your OM-D, it works very nicely and certainly out performs the 50-200 (in my experience)
    Since I bought a Canon 7D and EF400mm f5.6 for BIF I have started using this lens on the E-M5. It really shows just how good the sensor is and just how good the lens is. MF is a delight for static subjects using the magnified EVF and has encouraged me to try other make lenses using MF.
    I actually get more keepers using MF than the E-M5 AF especially for wildlife.

David

Leave a comment:

• Greytop
    replied

Originally posted by David M View Post
    Want ISO 25 not 100 so I can slow the shutter down with my lenses with no filter threads.
    Use a bit of welding glass

Leave a comment:

• David M
    replied

Want ISO 25 not 100 so I can slow the shutter down with my lenses with no filter threads.

Leave a comment:

• Zuiko
    replied

Originally posted by katran View Post
    Missing ISO-100 is not a real problem.

Olympus cameras with the new 16 Mp sensor cannot go lower than ISO-200, but have an higher DR.

This means you can overexpose with +1 when you do the picture, than later on editing, adjust back the exposure to the corect value.

Even E-5 has good enough DR and is possible to overexpose with +1....+1.5 without burning some areas of the picture.
    I guess E-M5 is a bit better. No problem at all to overexpose with +1...+1.5.

So problem solved.
    For coping with high contrast lighting, yes, I agree (although I prefer to use the expose to the right technique rather than risk truly unrecoverable highlights) but I wouldn't advocate deliberately over exposing just to achieve the equivalent of a lower ISO.

Leave a comment:

• kidslateinlife
    replied

Originally posted by Greytop View Post
    Here's a couple of action shots with the m4/3rds system.

Travelling towards me at a few hundred knots...

More quick action again towards the view point...

I don't disagree that it's not ideal for action but to dismiss it outright is a misjudgement. It is possible to use an OM-D for action and get good results.

And macro...not at problem at all

An example

There are two excellent native macro lenses in Oly 60 mm f/2.8 and Panny f/2.8 45 mm plus you can hook up pretty much what you like, the 50 f/2 or Sigma 150 f/2.8 plus an array of manual lenses.

Which brings me on to wildlife.. again with an adapter and a good old manual lens

BIF is more more a challenge agreed but again not impossible, there are some very nice examples recently by Brian1208 on this forum.
    Had to just express my admiration of these incredible shots......... really inspiring.

Leave a comment:

• Ian
    replied

Originally posted by PeterBirder View Post
    Because 6 is a very unlucky number in Japanese culture and would guarantee failure.
    Is that right? There was a discussion about number superstition in my blog on DPNow and our friend, Yoshi, from Japan didn't mention '6' as being a problem number:

http://dpnow.com/forum2/blog.php?b=263

Ian

Leave a comment:

• Ian
    replied

Originally posted by katran View Post

Olympus cameras with the new 16 Mp sensor cannot go lower than ISO-200, but have an higher DR.

This means you can overexpose with +1 when you do the picture, than later on editing, adjust back the exposure to the corect value.

Even E-5 has good enough DR and is possible to overexpose with +1....+1.5 without burning some areas of the picture.

So problem solved.
    Yup - I tell people all the time that digital (at least with reasonably sized sensors) is not like transparency film; there is more recoverable highlight detail than you might expect.

Ian

Leave a comment:

• katran
    replied

Originally posted by David M View Post
    I don't expect we'll ever see a base ISO of 100 again. Having 4 lenses with no filter threads I don't even have the option of using ND's on some of my lenses.

So problem solved.

Leave a comment:

• David M
    replied

I don't expect we'll ever see a base ISO of 100 again. Having 4 lenses with no filter threads I don't even have the option of using ND's on some of my lenses.

Leave a comment:

• Lee
    replied

Originally posted by Ulfric M Douglas View Post
    I believe that's the LEAST likely outcome.

Sadly, I agree...

Leave a comment:

• Lee
    replied

Originally posted by Chevvyf1 View Post
    Lee the E-5 goes down to 125

And my 620 goes down to a (pinch processed) 100 ISO...

Leave a comment:

• Ulfric M Douglas
    replied

Originally posted by Lee View Post
    ...I'd like something lower than 200 as well.
    I believe that's the LEAST likely outcome.

Leave a comment:

• benvendetta
    replied

Originally posted by Bikie John View Post
    Have to disagree there. Shooting sports in an English winter, the current high ISO peformance of the E-5 is a limiting factor. Even with the 150mm f/2 wide open it can struggle in the December murk. I agree that just chasing high ISO for its own sake is as daft as the megapixel race - and with the E-M5 I think we have just about got as far as we need. As far as I need, anyway.

Ciao ... Gloomy John
    I agree about good high ISO performance. When you spending a grand plus on a body you should getting this irrespective of the camera marque.

Leave a comment:

• Chevvyf1
    replied

Originally posted by Lee View Post
    Hear, hear!
    Forget the space race for unfeasibly high ISO, I'd like something lower than 200 as well.
    Lee the E-5 goes down to 125

Leave a comment:

Working...
X
Scroll To Top Scroll To Center Scroll To Bottom