X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sapper
    replied
    Re: Macbook Air

Mine has 2 usb, 1 apple port, (thunderbolt?) 1 SD slot. + headphone hole.

Leave a comment:

• TimP
    replied

Originally posted by DerekW View Post
    THere are many devices that allow multiple devices to be attached to a USB C socket
    Seehttps://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MZ0HF...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Leave a comment:

• DerekW
    replied

THere are many devices that allow multiple devices to be attached to a USB C socket
    Seehttps://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MZ0HF...v_ov_lig_dp_it

I have one of this type of device and I use it to connect to ethernet, multiple USB memory sticks, video projectors and mains electricity (via the power block)

To read a card from the camera into the machine I use a Sandisk Extreme ProUHS-II USB 3.0 reader. It ttransfer the files many times faster than the card reader on the adapter.

Leave a comment:

• wornish
    replied

Physical ports are old hat. WiFi is the way forward or Bluetooth for close communication

It's supposed to progress.

Leave a comment:

• TimP
    replied

<assumes boxing stance>
    OK, that is an older one, the model previous to the retina one is comparatively port heavy whereas the latest one, the retina screen that everyone was long waiting for has gone the way of the MacBook and to an extent the MacBook Pro and removed all the useful ports including a separate power connector (the MagSafe). Not sure when the SD slot was added as the rest of the Air spec didn’t interest me at the time..the SD slot on the 2017 model is on the r/h side of the case along with the TB and USB-A port.

Leave a comment:

• Shaw
    replied

Not continuing a fight but.... I'm sitting in front of my wife's MacBook Air, and the only port that it has (apart from the magsafe) is a USB port. if she wanted it to have an SD port we could buy an SD to USB port converter. My MacBook Pro, which is fairly old has all the various ports including SD.

Leave a comment:

• TimP
    replied

Don’t think so.... (not starting a fight here!). The only MacBook Air they still seem to sell has a non Retina display and bunch of ports including the wonderful MagSafe power connector. I didn’t think they sold that any more but it appears they do. The latest MacBook Air has two USB-C sockets and a headphone port. The original MacBook came with proper ports but the super slim retina one has just the one USB and headphone. As each new model has come out in the past two or three years they have gradually removed all the useful connectors, damn them!
    I bought a new Air a year or two ago and maxed out the SSD to a paltry 500GB but there’s still nothing else I want to buy that isn’t nearly 4 grand! Hoping a new MacBook Pro will appear this year sometime.

Leave a comment:

• Shaw
    replied

Originally posted by TimP View Post
    I think the MacBook Air still had the SD reader until the very latest upgrade when they added the retina screen and took away everything else useful. The MacBook has never had any proper ports at all, just a single USB-C I think. Madness.
    It's the other way round. My MacBook has all the ports, but my wife's MacBook Air has only the USB port.

Leave a comment:

• TimP
    replied

I think the MacBook Air still had the SD reader until the very latest upgrade when they added the retina screen and took away everything else useful. The MacBook has never had any proper ports at all, just a single USB-C I think. Madness.

Leave a comment:

• blu-by-u
    replied

Unfortunately not all Macbooks can be upgraded. They onboard mounted the SSD to my daughter's macbook. They even left out that SD reader.

Leave a comment:

• Internaut
    replied
    • Put only the software you need on there.
    • Ensure your photos are kept on external storage (which you already do).

Caveat: Not a good option if you have software on there that might be difficult to get hold of now.

Leave a comment:

• sapper
    replied

[QUOTE=Walti;480386]Have you put a micro SD card into the SD slot there's a special holder available for permanent use, then you can move stuff from your start up disk to the micro sd card... I have my Apple Photos and my iTunes stuff on one.

Thanks, I have not. I will think about.

Leave a comment:

• TimP
    replied

Originally posted by Walti View Post
    Macupgrades are very good, put a 2GB SSD in my iMac for me... They happen to be less than 2 miles from where I live too!

Leave a comment:

• Walti
    replied

Originally posted by sapper View Post
    No, don't trust it, prefer physical stuff.
    Have you put a micro SD card into the SD slot there's a special holder available for permanent use, then you can move stuff from your start up disk to the micro sd card... I have my Apple Photos and my iTunes stuff on one.

One of these!

and one of these

Leave a comment:

• Walti
    replied

Macupgrades are very good, put a 2GB SSD in my iMac for me... They happen to be less than 2 miles from where I live too!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X