Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Batteries (especially for the EM-5 Mark II)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Batteries (especially for the EM-5 Mark II)

ExPro Too good to be true? Probably! There's no capacity listed against the battery. There's no "About Us' on their website, so I guess it's a Chinese based manufacturer, and cheap Chinese batteries do have a reputation for catching fire. Is that a correct assumption? They can't even reassure people by having an SSL certificate or an entry on Wikipedia!

Also too good to be true on Ebay I don't trust it!

I can't find Energizer versions of BLN-1s

Duracell

Steve

on flickr

Comment

Re: Batteries (especially for the EM-5 Mark II)

http://www.exprodirect.com/ex-pro-ol...v-1220mah.html

Comment

Thanks!

Being to afford a EM-5 body, an MMF-3 and the 45mm lens so far, doesn't quite equate to being able to afford everything I want. As much as I would like the Oly brand, I am working to a fixed budget. More than doubling the cost of the extra batteries I need to buy will eat into budget for the OMD-EM1 II in a few months time and whether that will be affordable or not. I am looking for best value, not necessarily the most expensive or the cheapest unbranded make. Duracell seem to offer that. They are a reputable manufacturer. That's the way I am thinking of going.

rsh1960, Thank-you! I've read quite a few reports of the Ex-Pro batteries not lasting that long and not holding their charge after a few recharges. I am not entirely convinced by their quality. Does anyone know any different?

Cheers,

Ivor

Comment

Originally posted by Ivor View Post

ExPro Too good to be true? Probably! There's no capacity listed against the battery. There's no "About Us' on their website, so I guess it's a Chinese based manufacturer, and cheap Chinese batteries do have a reputation for catching fire. Is that a correct assumption? They can't even reassure people by having an SSL certificate or an entry on Wikipedia!

Thoughts please?

Thanks,

Ivor
          I've been using ExPro batteries for a number of years and have no hesitation in recomending them.

They are a reputable UK supplier of a range of different products both third party and "own brand", they are not a manufacturer. Their "About Us" information you will find (on the page you gave a link to) under "Useful Links"--"UK Company UK Support".

Virtually all lithium-ion batteries including Olympus ones are made in China to the Brand company's specs.

Not sure why you would expect a modest UK on-line supplier to have a Wikepedia entry. It's an encyclopedia, not something a company can request an entry on for sales purposes.

My Thoughts.
          Peter

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
          OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
          Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.

Comment

I, too have been very happy with Expro.
            David

EM1ii, EM10ii

Comment

Originally posted by PeterBirder View Post
              I've been using ExPro batteries for a number of years and have no hesitation in recomending them.

They are a reputable UK supplier of a range of different products both third party and "own brand", they are not a manufacturer. Their "About Us" information you will find (on the page you gave a link to) under "Useful Links"--"UK Company UK Support".

Virtually all lithium-ion batteries including Olympus ones are made in China to the Brand company's specs.

Not sure why you would expect a modest UK on-line supplier to have a Wikepedia entry. It's an encyclopedia, not something a company can request an entry on for sales purposes.

My Thoughts.
              Thanks.

Cheers PeterBirder, That's really useful.

I am glad you have had a good experience with Ex-Pro. They are an unknown to me and I need to be persuaded of a reputation before I would buy something. Duracell have a brand (part of P&G) than I am aware of.

I know lots of electrical products are manufactured in China, which I don't have a problem with, but there are a lot of dodgy manufacturers over there too, not just of electronics, that produce stuff pretending to be something they ain't.

I look at as much information as possible about a company before I buy from them. I use Wikipedia as just one of the several guides I use to deciding whether or not I should trade with a company I haven't heard of. Lots of businesses have a presence on the encyclopaedia, though by no means all.

I also look for the https:// prefix on their website. If a company has bought an SSL certificate for their entire site and not just the payments section, it points to them being concerned about their reputation. Other pointers include having contact names and address, a landline phone numbers and a wide range of online feedback. None, on their own, are a reliable means of measuring a reputation, but together they build up a picture.

Thanks for pointing out the link. I kept looking and it was right in front of my nose! Now I have more choice! Following the link you pointed out, I've just found their site saying this:

"cheaper is not necessarily the best value sadly there are many items which are copied (and look similar) to our own designs on the internet which are produced to a much lower specification often shipped from outside the UK's boarder [sic] and Trading Standards control."

So they do talk the talk, though I wish they would learn how to use a comma and other punctuation, and know the difference between border and boarder!

Going to that page, totally unaware of the company, it would worry me that they have their copyright statement as 2007-2017. They were not incorporated until 2011. It makes it sound as though they are trying to up their reputation by false means. Black mark against them on my personal rating scheme.

The company owners are Paul and Virginia Spencer from Billingham, and they have not been directors of any business that has been liquidated, so that is a good mark towards them! Your positive comments also count as a credit!

Thanks for your help! It was really useful.

Ivor

Comment

I've also been using ExPro batteries for several years without any problems.
                Stewart

My Zenfolio Site
                My Portfolio Site

Olympus: E-M1 Mk11 | PEN-F + ECG-4 | XZ-1 | Lumix: G9 | LX100
                Zuiko: 40-150 Pro + MC-14 | 12-100 Pro | 7-14 Pro | 17 | 45 | 60 | OM 135
                Leica: 100-400 | 12-60 Lumix: 12-32 Samyang: 7.5 fisheye

Comment

Paul

Comment

Ivor - you are probably well aware of this, but just in case - the battery for the E-M1 Mk II that you are saving for is not the same as the one for the E-M5 (and E-M1 Mk I). So it might well make sense to go for a cheaper OEM alternative now as you won't be able to carry it across to the new body.

John

Comment

When I used the EM1 I used six batteries 2 Olympus and 4 Expro with no real difference. I also bought two and a double charger which could also charge the Olympus batteries.
                      I also used Expro spares with my E5 and never had problems.
                      Just check the ampres value to give longest use time.

Wee Man
                      Ed

Live life in the slow lane.

Comment

I had a few expro with the em5 and apart from needing a separate charger was happy. When I moved to the em5mk2 I found they were too tight and had to get proper Olympus ones. Not sure if they had swelled or if Olympus had engineered the battery compartment tighter. But it was noticeable and you would have been unable to prize them out. Just my experience.
                        Peter (Art Frames)

You can see some of my things on Flickr

Comment

Thanks everyone, that's brilliant. Really useful information. Thanks for the words of caution about the fit, art frames. I guess if I order them and they don't fit then I can just send them back again.

Before typing this post I was convinced that I was going to go for Duracell. I prefer giving my money to a small business than a big multi-national like P&G and so I'll give Ex-Pro my business, and save a few pennies at the same time.

Thanks for changing my mind!

All the best,

Ivor

Comment

I wanted to come back and say thanks to all those who changed my mind about Expro batteries. I bought some and they are excellent. I'm still waiting for the first one to run out so I can recharge it! Although they have, in theory, less capacity than the Oly battery, the first one is lasting longer.

Ivor

Comment

Working...
                            X