Olympus STF-8 macro twin flash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Olympus STF-8 macro twin flash

Does anybody own one of these or have experience using one?

Saw mention of 'battery issue' on another forum post a couple of years old, but no details.

I’ve got one and use rechargeable batteries in it and I would say the battery life is fine...
    Paul

I didn’t get where I am today....

Comment

Originally posted by Walti View Post
      I’ve got one and use rechargeable batteries in it and I would say the battery life is fine...
      Do you have anything negative to say about it?

Comment

Not a great deal, in some circumstances it’s not quite diffused enough - but it’s marginal.

It works very well for fill in and a slow sync flash allows massive depths of field in low light conditions, I’ll dig some photos out tomorrow to illustrate what I mean.

I did have a home made rig for insect photography which was very cumbersome and not as good as the bespoke flash.
        Paul

Comment

This guy adds a couple of ball heads and increased diffusion......

https://petapixel.com/2017/06/20/rev...ro-twin-flash/

Comment

A couple of examples of it in use...
            Paul

Comment

Originally posted by DavidB View Post

Do you have anything negative to say about it?
              I have one and use it frequently. Nothing bad to say about it. Batteries last ages and no issues with the NiMH batts I use.
              Stuff from Cuba
              More stuff from Cuba
              It all started here

Comment

I don't see an ac adaptor mentioned (like the old OM twin flash used to have) so I guess it only runs on batteries and these are OK for the numerous flashes for focus stacking.

Comment

I don't see an ac adaptor mentioned (like the old OM twin flash used to have) so I guess it only runs on batteries and these are OK for the numerous flashes for focus stacking.
                  It took me a while to get the focus stacking right as you have to use the flash in manual mode while stacking, but it works fine.

I have had to replace the batteries once since I've had it and it managed 100s of photos on one set.
                  Paul

Comment

One more ...

Does it fit OK when using a Raynox (250) clip on conversion lens, and does it require the Raynox to be fitted with a step down ring in lieu of the clip on conector?

Comment

One more ...

Does it fit OK when using a Raynox (250) clip on conversion lens, and does it require the Raynox to be fitted with a step down ring in lieu of the clip on conector?
                      The ring that screws onto the lens to hold the flash heads is threaded with the same thread both ends, just like a filter is.
                      Stuff from Cuba
                      More stuff from Cuba
                      It all started here

Comment

Working...
                      X