New Flash system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Flash system

Thanks OM, that sounds like pretty much my understanding. Of course, the radio bit is like a telephone, in that if you only have one it is about as much use as a chocolate teapot. But if you want a multi-flash system with radio control you only need FL-700WRs, you don't need the separate commander and receiver.

As far as I can see the 700WR is the only fully enabled unit at the moment. I haven't dug really deep but it looks as though the standalone receivers will control other units like the 900R, and I presume that any further developments of the system will include the radio bits, at least in the higher-end units.

It's just academic curiosity on my part, really, as I don't do that kind of stuff. I would still like to confirm whether I have understood correctly though.

John
    Last edited by Bikie John; 26th November 2019, 03:13 PM. Reason: Couple of typos

Comment

Originally posted by OM USer View Post
      I'm going to stick my head out to give you a quick answer even though I have not got one of these or even tried one.

The flash unit will work on its own mounted on the hot shoe (compatible cameras). To work off camera the flash will use the in built in receiver to get the signals but you will need a command capable unit (mounted on the hot shoe) to send them. This can be either the stand alone commander (FC) or another flash unit using the in built commander. The receiver (FR) unit is for off camera flash when you are using a non FL700 flash when, again, you can use a FL700 flash or FC commander unit on the camera hot shoe to send the command signals.
      I agree with the above, in principle, for any flash system, except that some cables, where they exist, can be attached to the hot shot and have a flash commander unit on the other end, i.e. off camera, controlling unconnected RC units.

Harold
      The body is willing but the mind is weak.

Comment

Curiosity got the better of me, so I've downloaded the instruction manual for the flash...

The head will tilt up and down from 0-90 degrees, not -5 to 90 degrees like some of the others...

It appears to support both optical and radio connectivity with the Olympus systems:

Wireless Shooting
        You can shoot an image using one or more flashes placing away from the camera. You can adjust the positions and settings of the flashes to enjoy many different lighting effects.
        This flash supports wireless shooting with both radio communications and optical communications.
        Differences between radio communications and optical communications
        Wireless shooting with radio communications has some advantages over wireless shooting with optical communications. Wireless shooting feature of being less vulnerable to obstacles and ambient light allows flexible receiver installation and selection of shooting location.
        The following chart shows the main functional differences.

Function
        Radio communications
        Optical communications
        Maximum communication distance
        Groups
        Communication channels
        Approx. 30 meters (98.4 ft.)
        3 groups (A / B / C)
        1 to 15
        Up to approx. 5 meters (16.4 ft.)*
        3 groups (A / B / C) + 1 master flash
        1 to 4
        * The distance varies depending on the angle of the receiver and compatibility between the flash and the receiver.
        This of course means that you can slowly "upgrade" your system should you choose...
        Paul

I didn’t get where I am today....

Comment

Originally posted by Walti_too View Post
          Curiosity got the better of me, so I've downloaded the instruction manual for the flash...

The head will tilt up and down from 0-90 degrees, not -5 to 90 degrees like some of the others...

It appears to support both optical and radio connectivity with the Olympus systems:

This of course means that you can slowly "upgrade" your system should you choose...
          If you are doing macro you want at least one gun which can tilt down by about 45 degrees, unless you have a tilting bracket.

Harold
          The body is willing but the mind is weak.

Comment

Comment

Working...
            X