• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E-3
    replied
    Re: Filter for 12 -60

Originally posted by DerekC View Post
    I own a 90-250mm which incidentally is supplied by Olympus with a filter.
    Yes, you are correct. What I meant is that I would not put another make filter in front of it.

Leave a comment:

• Bikie John
    replied

One case where filters can seriously degrade the image is shooting into the light. You can see it in a night townscape, where there are specular light sources in the frame - as well as the real ones you will sometimes get an extended family where the light has reflected off the front element and back in from the inside of the filter.

I don't understand why this should show up so clearly in these circumstances but not affect "normal" shooting, but that seems to be what happens.

FWIW I normally shoot with a hood but without a filter unless there is something that I want the filter to protect the lens from. Since I shoot a lot of rugby, that is usually rain. Which all too often is horizontal

Ciao ... John

Leave a comment:

• DerekC
    replied

I own a 90-250mm which incidentally is supplied by Olympus with a filter.

A Hoya Pro1 is used on my 12-60. I have used the lens with filter off and on and not noticed any difference in image quality.
    The lens hoods are always used, as a scratched lens hood is preferable to scratched filter or front element. Also Olympus spend time developing lens hoods to do a job so why leave them at home?

Leave a comment:

• DanH56
    replied

Leave a comment:

• E-3
    replied

Why do Olympus put a screw thread on the front of the lens?[/QUOTE]

To attatch filter holders & ring flashes to

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Originally posted by wanderer View Post
    Goodness me, this sounds like its causing some nostril flare.
    Everbody is entitled to their opinion - for me it is 'filter on' brigade and the lens cap stays in my pocket until I have finished shooting.

Thank you for all your opinions - it is good to see such a diversity of points of view.

Leave a comment:

• snaarman
    replied

Originally posted by DekHog View Post
    ...but as you say, each to their own; no one is forcing us to use one or otherwise...
    Quite right :-) I am a vote for the no filter camp.

I always use the lens cap, never use the hood, never use a filter. There are some times when this has bitten me on the bum but in general it works for me.

As to loss in quality, yes it might be emperors clothes syndrome these days. Although I have examples of Cokin A filters taking the edge off a picture from my long gone film days.

Pete
    Last edited by snaarman; 13th April 2010, 08:40 AM.

Leave a comment:

• wanderer
    replied

Goodness me, this sounds like its causing some nostril flare.
    Why do Olympus put a screw thread on the front of the lens?
    I also use Cokin Z filters on my 12-60 and can get a bit of vignetting at 12mm, particularly in portait view, but only at the top against the sky, why?

Leave a comment:

• DekHog
    replied

Only if you're daft enough to shoot into the sun.... and nearly every bit of glass, expensive lenses included, will give lens flare under those very circumstances...

...but as you say, each to their own; no one is forcing us to use one or otherwise...

Leave a comment:

• E-3
    replied

Originally posted by DekHog View Post
    Well if one of the 'it destroys the quality' mob can post some with and without images showing me the damage it does to my pictures, I'll happily never use one again... I won't hold my breath waiting in case I die though...
    They cause lens flair!

Leave a comment:

• E-3
    replied

Leave a comment:

• DekHog
    replied

Well if one of the 'it destroys the quality' mob can post some with and without images showing me the damage it does to my pictures, I'll happily never use one again... I won't hold my breath waiting in case I die though...

Leave a comment:

• Wreckdiver
    replied

Originally posted by meach View Post
    I'm of the view that lens caps and hoods are the best way to protect your lenses - that's what they're designed for after all - and filters are best for, well, filtering. Anything between the lens and the subject introduces a risk of lens flare, however minimal. There are also those who believe that if you do drop a lens with a glass filter attached then broken glass from said filter is more likely to scratch the lens than the fall. In thirty years of serious photography I've never used a filter (well, did once try a friend's polariser) and never had a scratched lens. But I ALWAYS have a lens hood attached when shooting.
    Agree totally. I take the cap off, take a photo and put the cap back on. The cap is more likely to do a better job of protecting the lens than a glass filter that is going to shatter and possibly do more damage.

I just don't see how a filter protects a lens.

Steve

Leave a comment:

• HughofBardfield
    replied

Originally posted by E-3 View Post
    If Olympus intended people to use protectors, then I am sure they would manufacture them.
    They did at one time. I have some 49mm Olympus UV filters from 35mm days. It amazes me Oly don't still sell them. The fanboys would instantly conclude they enabled better colour rendering or somesuch and buy them in bulk...

Having said that, after nearly 40 years of religiously using a protective filter, I have come round to the view that UV or "lens protector" filters are only of use in limited circumstances and I no longer have them on all my lenses as default since I have seen evidence of flare with them on.

However, if I go near the sea, or out in fog or anywhere where there may be crud or wet stuff flying around, the filter goes back on.

As to filter depth, I don't have the 12-60, but a standard depth Hoya causes no vignetting on the 11-22 that I've seen.

Leave a comment:

• meach
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X