Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IR Filters - cheap imports from China - very good too!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• theMusicMan
    replied
    Re: IR Filters - cheap imports from China - very good too!

Hi David

Thanks for your comments, I got it lucky with the weather that day to be honest, it was the same day that I managed to get the shot that I entered in the Photo of the Year challenge. A storm had just passed over, and it left things looking lovely.

I usually play around with the exposure when the 11-22mm has the IR filter screwed in... and as far as I remember, I tend to use exposures between 10s and 30s, with apertures from f4 to around f11. I'd say it comes very close to being a 10 stopper to be honest. That's going to be my next purchase, the ND110 72mm filter... just gotta get one as summer approaches...

I tried the welding glass, but I must have a bad one as there are lots of scratches and glitches in the images taken.

Leave a comment:

• David Gethin
    replied

Originally posted by theMusicMan View Post
    John

You do shoot some cracking beachscapes. When things warm up and I have a bit more time, I intend to get out and play with my welding glass 13.3 stop ND filter.

Cost wise at a few quid plus a cheapo "Cokin P-type"-type adapter attached with gaffer tape it is as cheap as it gets. You have to remove the green tint in PP in the same way you have to remove the purple tint from an IR filter.

The IR filter gives a unique effect particularly with landscapes, trees especially, but just thinking in terms of using it as a simple ND filter how many stops do you think it equates to? At that price and for the convenience of being able to screw it to the front of your lens (a disadvantage of the fairly weighty welding glass) it is a possible alternative?

Might be a stepping stone between ND8 and the welding glass

cheers

Leave a comment:

• Jim Ford
    replied

Originally posted by garethlovering View Post
    What's the difference between using one of these filters and changing the settings on your camera to shoot in black & white?
    http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/infrared/#DIFF

Jim

Leave a comment:

• garethlovering
    replied

What's the difference between using one of these filters and changing the settings on your camera to shoot in black & white?

Leave a comment:

• Jon*E
    replied

Jim

Here's a new link to the seller http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/came-r...__W0QQ_armrsZ1.

Jon

Leave a comment:

• BobS
    replied

There is an excellent article by Wrotniak on the subject, link below:-

http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/infrared/

Bob

Leave a comment:

• Jim Ford
    replied

Originally posted by theMusicMan View Post
    I believe that if you shoot in B&W, that the RAW data is still in colour
    It's the opposite really!

The sensor photosites only register light levels, not wavelengths, which means that raw data is greyscale. It only get interpreted as colour in the subsequent de-mosaicing process - either when being converted to JPEG in the camera, or by a raw developer program.

e.g. The conversion process 'knows' that the mid-grey that the first photosite registered was taken through a green filter, and is therefore interpreted as mid-green.

[PEDANT_MODE]
    BTW, raw is not an acronym and therefore shouldn't be capitalised. It just means what it says - raw. JPEG _is_ an acronym and therefore should be capitalised
    [/PEDANT_MODE]

I fancy getting one of these filters, but the Ebay link no longer works. What's the I.D. of the Ebay seller, please.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• benvendetta
    replied

Well, I am screwed

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Does anyone use Cokin IR filters? or do you all use screw-on ones?

Leave a comment:

• AlistairJ
    replied

Here are some shots I got in at lunchtime today, not that they are anything special, but as far as I can tell this cheap 720nm filter does the job perfectly well

This last one has the faux-colour effect I was looking for, despite the weak sunshine, so I am well pleased. GO AND GET ONE OF THESE FILTERS!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Which IR filter did you opt for - 680, 720, 760 or 950nm?

I have just ordered one, only 46mm dia so quite cheap and I decided on the 720nm.

For once my camera's notoriously high IR sensitivity is going to be a benefit. I look forward to seeing the results, may post them on DPNow if they are interesting.

Leave a comment:

• AlistairJ
    replied

Hi

yes I have LR and I also use gimp. I was trying for the effect where you adjust the WB then swap the red and blue colour channels for the faux blue sky. But I'm not sure this is possible with this filter. Still I really like the strong B&W look and with the long exposure effect it makes for a really nice image (at least it can the right hands).

I got some more shots with it at lunchtime today, will process and post one or two this weekend hopefully.

Leave a comment:

• theMusicMan
    replied

Have you tried using Lightroom Alistair...? I have saved a few presets based on my IR images that seem to work fairly well. It's hit and miss though and I find I need to adjust the develop settings for each image.

Originally posted by EH1 View Post
    Yes, I received mine a couple of weeks ago, but have`nt got round to using it yet! ................................I need some fresh inspiration from John!
    Thanks Edward... not so much opportunity to get out and about with the kit over these last few weeks. We're off up to the Brecon Beacons in a week or so, so hopefully I'll use the IR filter then.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Yes, I received mine a couple of weeks ago, but have`nt got round to using it yet! ................................I need some fresh inspiration from John!

Leave a comment:

• AlistairJ
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X