Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IR Filters - cheap imports from China - very good too!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: IR Filters - cheap imports from China - very good too!

This filter certainly produces the goods! Another great picture John, Keep them coming! You have got me well & truly hooked

Comment

AlistairJ

alistairj.smugmug.com

Comment

Yes, I received mine a couple of weeks ago, but have`nt got round to using it yet! ................................I need some fresh inspiration from John!

Comment

Have you tried using Lightroom Alistair...? I have saved a few presets based on my IR images that seem to work fairly well. It's hit and miss though and I find I need to adjust the develop settings for each image.

Originally posted by EH1 View Post
          Yes, I received mine a couple of weeks ago, but have`nt got round to using it yet! ................................I need some fresh inspiration from John!
          Thanks Edward... not so much opportunity to get out and about with the kit over these last few weeks. We're off up to the Brecon Beacons in a week or so, so hopefully I'll use the IR filter then.
          John

Comment

Hi

yes I have LR and I also use gimp. I was trying for the effect where you adjust the WB then swap the red and blue colour channels for the faux blue sky. But I'm not sure this is possible with this filter. Still I really like the strong B&W look and with the long exposure effect it makes for a really nice image (at least it can the right hands).

I got some more shots with it at lunchtime today, will process and post one or two this weekend hopefully.
            AlistairJ

alistairj.smugmug.com

Comment

Which IR filter did you opt for - 680, 720, 760 or 950nm?

I have just ordered one, only 46mm dia so quite cheap and I decided on the 720nm.

For once my camera's notoriously high IR sensitivity is going to be a benefit. I look forward to seeing the results, may post them on DPNow if they are interesting.

Comment

Here are some shots I got in at lunchtime today, not that they are anything special, but as far as I can tell this cheap 720nm filter does the job perfectly well

This last one has the faux-colour effect I was looking for, despite the weak sunshine, so I am well pleased. GO AND GET ONE OF THESE FILTERS!
                AlistairJ

alistairj.smugmug.com

Comment

Does anyone use Cokin IR filters? or do you all use screw-on ones?

Comment

Well, I am screwed
                    Dave

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac, Manfrotto, and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge

Comment

Originally posted by theMusicMan View Post
                      I believe that if you shoot in B&W, that the RAW data is still in colour
                      It's the opposite really!

The sensor photosites only register light levels, not wavelengths, which means that raw data is greyscale. It only get interpreted as colour in the subsequent de-mosaicing process - either when being converted to JPEG in the camera, or by a raw developer program.

e.g. The conversion process 'knows' that the mid-grey that the first photosite registered was taken through a green filter, and is therefore interpreted as mid-green.

[PEDANT_MODE]
                      BTW, raw is not an acronym and therefore shouldn't be capitalised. It just means what it says - raw. JPEG _is_ an acronym and therefore should be capitalised
                      [/PEDANT_MODE]

I fancy getting one of these filters, but the Ebay link no longer works. What's the I.D. of the Ebay seller, please.

Jim

Comment

There is an excellent article by Wrotniak on the subject, link below:-

http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/infrared/

Bob
                        Bob

To see what is in front of one's nose requires constant struggle.
                        GEORGE ORWELL

Comment

Jim

Here's a new link to the seller http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/came-r...__W0QQ_armrsZ1.

Jon
                          My Flickr

E-420 | 14-42 | 40-150 | 35mm Macro | Carl Zeiss Jena Flektogon 35mm 2.4 | Carl Zeiss Jena 135mm 3.5 | Industar 50mm 3.5 Pancake

Comment

What's the difference between using one of these filters and changing the settings on your camera to shoot in black & white?
                            Gareth Lovering
                            I have over 14,000 photos and videos on line at

http://www.facebook.com/Garethloveringphotography

http://www.flickr.com/photos/swansealocalboy/

http://www.youtube.com/user/garylovering/

Comment

Originally posted by garethlovering View Post
                              What's the difference between using one of these filters and changing the settings on your camera to shoot in black & white?
                              http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/infrared/#DIFF

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by theMusicMan View Post
                                John

You do shoot some cracking beachscapes. When things warm up and I have a bit more time, I intend to get out and play with my welding glass 13.3 stop ND filter.

Cost wise at a few quid plus a cheapo "Cokin P-type"-type adapter attached with gaffer tape it is as cheap as it gets. You have to remove the green tint in PP in the same way you have to remove the purple tint from an IR filter.

The IR filter gives a unique effect particularly with landscapes, trees especially, but just thinking in terms of using it as a simple ND filter how many stops do you think it equates to? At that price and for the convenience of being able to screw it to the front of your lens (a disadvantage of the fairly weighty welding glass) it is a possible alternative?

Might be a stepping stone between ND8 and the welding glass

cheers
                                David

Olympus E-30 | Falcon 8mm fisheye | 8mm fisheye | 12-60mm | 25mm f/2.8 pancake | 40-150mm | 50-200mm | 70-300mm | Tamron 135mm f/2.5 | EX-25 | FL-36R | YN460 & YN460-II | B&W ND110 | Lightroom 2.7 | Photoshop CS3
                                flickr - Photo52 2011
                                My Photo52 2011 Thread on TP

Comment

Working...
                                X