X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loup Garou
    replied
    Re: Wrist strap or neck strap?

Walking around with my OM-D during the aforementioned family function for the past 2 days, I found another reason to be pleased with the neck strap. Even with the FL-600R flashgun attached, the OM-D "dangles right" in front of my body. With the EVF against my shirt, it autoshuts the LCD panel. I do not know whether it amounts to a significant battery saving but even if it does not, I like the idea if the screen blanking out when not in use.

Leave a comment:

• Wreckdiver
    replied

GS-3 strap predominantly, especially when using E-5 + battery grip with the 35-100mm lens. Far too heavy and cumbersome for the neck strap.

Steve

Leave a comment:

• Ross the fiddler
    replied

I don't have the wrist strap, but I do have a grip strap & sling strap connection sorted with my own made grip plate.

Leave a comment:

• Footloose1949
    replied

In the past my cameras have fitted a QR shoulder strap and wrist strap at the same time. My main niggle with the QR component on the body is that they can be annoyingly bulky, the plastic types usually seen, can painfully pinch/trap the skin on your fingers if you aren't careful. I've managed to devise my own QR mechanism, using the pin & ball connectors used to QD equipment on aircraft; Without the strap attached, the remaining connector on the body measures only 10x12mm and can be detached with one hand. The QR system used on Hassleblad V series bodies is a darn good one, but as far as I know, a similar version has never been made for other cameras.

As for the wrist strap, made one which hung from the eyelet, after ascertaining what size loop I needed. (most of the ordinary loop straps I find are too big) Olympus's version with two connection points, I find is too bulky and Olly haven't bothered to put an additional fastening point on the bottom of the camera body, so cannot use it without both parts of the HLD-6 grip and equally annoyingly, if you want to take either of these off, you have to 'Faff' around undoing the strap from the body. If a strap-lug was fitted to the bottom R/hand side of the body, all of these problems would be resolved.

The only thing against a wrist strap, is if you fall over, the camera could well wreck your wrist when you hit the deck ...

Leave a comment:

• CJJE
    replied

Olympus sell a hand grip strap to fit on the HLD-6 hand grip (if you have a spare arm & leg!) but it needs the battery box part of the hLD-6 to be attached. I've a feeling I've seen some neck straps with quick release connectors so you can discard the long "neck" bit and just snap the two short ends together to serve as wrist strap. But I can't track them down at present.

Chris

Leave a comment:

• Ross the fiddler
    replied

Originally posted by SteelD View Post
    Chris, that's my preferred mode of operation but I like street and candid photography and am tempted by the idea of holding the camera at waist level and firing the shutter from the touch screen. This approach strikes me as being more practical with the neck strap. Has anybody tried this with neck and wrist straps - what worked better?

What I really want is a quick change strap system...
    I'm looking for something like that too & attaching a grip strap with it, plus I'm thinking of making my own grip plate with a sling strap connection loop or eye at the left hand side (bottom).

Leave a comment:

• BobS
    replied

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

With my 5D, I work as Loup does but with my Fujifilm X10, I use a wrist strap. The OM-D is an in-between camera and I can envisage situations where a wrist strap will work better and situations where a neck strap would be better. I might try Chris' solution first and maybe experiment with a bigger wrist strap - the Gordy I have is a good strap but I want something a little bigger to quickly slip my hand into.

Leave a comment:

• Loup Garou
    replied

I confess that I dislike wrist straps and use them only if I have to. I do not feel comfortable about having anything continuously around my wrist except a watch. Even with compacts, I have a camera case with a neck strap and use the wrist lanyard only to secure the camera while actually taking photographs. With SLRs I usually have a camera bag over the shoulder and when I take the camera out, I put on the neck strap. I have been doing that for years and am used to it.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Chris, that's my preferred mode of operation but I like street and candid photography and am tempted by the idea of holding the camera at waist level and firing the shutter from the touch screen. This approach strikes me as being more practical with the neck strap. Has anybody tried this with neck and wrist straps - what worked better?

What I really want is a quick change strap system...

Leave a comment:

• CJJE
    replied

I think it comes down to deciding how you want to carry the camera around.

I don't feel comfortable walking around with a camera hung round my neck, and so keep it in a protective shoulder bag (either on its own or with extra lenses). My LowePro bags are waterproof and so are ideal when simply travelling from place to place in our current weather conditions

When actively seeking photos, I prefer to hold the camera in my hand with a wrist strap to give added security. I have Gordy straps for my Lumix cameras and had transferred one to my E-M5, but now have an Olympus Pen "Hand Strap" for my E-M5. It's a bit longer and wider than the Gordy's which makes it easier to slip your hand in. When the camera is back in its bag, the strap just folds over the top.

Chris

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Originally posted by Loup Garou View Post
    But what is wrong with the understated but original Olympus strap that comes with the OM-D kit? It looks and feels sturdy enough.
    You might be right Loup. I've tried a Gordy wrist strap but feel that a small neckstrap might be better. The original strap looks classy and doesn't look overly large so I might give it a go.

Leave a comment:

• Ross the fiddler
    replied

Originally posted by StephenL View Post
    Think he's fed up seeing me about my arthritis, impingement, and diabetes. Don't know what he'd make of the dangle (or should it be droop?)
    Dried arrangement?

Leave a comment:

• StephenL
    replied

Originally posted by Loup Garou View Post
    I am sorry to hear that. Perhaps you should see your GP about it?
    Think he's fed up seeing me about my arthritis, impingement, and diabetes. Don't know what he'd make of the dangle (or should it be droop?)

Leave a comment:

• StephenL
    replied

Originally posted by Chevvyf1 View Post
    Hmmm! Stephen, Maybe you had the Ladies version ? if your "missing the important bits" for the strap to lay between it will not dangle right iykwim aityd
    Depends on the length (of the strap).

After reading Snaarman's lens-changing instructions, it sounds like Dibnah may be called into play. She's got growling and shaking it about down to a fine art.

Thinking laterally, I wonder if you can get panniers for Jack Russells?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X
Scroll To Top Scroll To Center Scroll To Bottom