Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody with a ThinkTank Retrospective bag?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    Re: Anybody with a ThinkTank Retrospective bag?

Originally posted by George Dorn View Post
    David, strange how two people's opinion of the same thing can vary. If my enthusiasm for the Retrospective 5 was misleading, then sorry for that.
    No problem. I just that I can see that when I'm flying and the bag goes in the overhead locker, there's every chance of a lens or the OM-D flash falling out and perhaps me not noticing. I just don't want to take that risk.

I did consider modifying the bag in some way but decided against it as it didn't appear too easy to modify without ruining the look of it and at that price level, I shouldn't expect to have to make up for such shortcomings myself. As I said, with bigger kit inside the bag, it might well work but I'd rather have the peace of mind that everything is secure inside the bag. It's one less thing to worry about.

Leave a comment:

• George Dorn
    replied

David, strange how two people's opinion of the same thing can vary. If my enthusiasm for the Retrospective 5 was misleading, then sorry for that.

However, here's a grab of my bag, with kit in it and I feel that the likelihood of losing any kit is remote (enough for me, that is). When the bag is empty there does appear to be more slack.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Re: Anybody with a ThinkTank Retrospective bag? UPDATE

So, I got the bag and am now in the process of returning it. It's not for me. The size, colour, and layout all work for me except for the method of closing the bag. The risk of losing something out of this bag is too high. The bigger Retrospective bags probably work for full-size DSLRs and lenses but the 5 is designed for smaller cameras like M43 and the same method of closure doesn't work so well with smaller M43 lenses and accessories.

So, the size is ideal for M43 and a few lenses:

but there is no zip, Velcro or flap to secure the contents on the inside:

and the main (outer) flap is only secured (sometimes quite weakly) by two average size Velcro patches:

leaving a big enough gap for an M43 lens or accessory to fall out when the bag is put down (or even if you run with the bag):

So, though I don't think that Billingham bags are as inconspicuous (they look too classy), I am tempted to go for a Hadley Small as I know my camera will be protected and the bag will be about the right size.

Leave a comment:

• StephenL
    replied

Stephen - of course you can always use just one more bag
    One wife is quite enough, thank you

Leave a comment:

• George Dorn
    replied

Originally posted by steverh View Post
    The ThinkTank Retrospective 5 will carry quite a lot of m43 kit if needed - body, grip, 2 zooms, a couple of primes, flashgun and odds and ends (not that I've got all that kit yet!)
    There are plenty of dividers supplied with the Retrospective 5 and it will carry quite some kit if carefully packed but I was suggesting that my preference is to hang loose, as it were.

Stephen - of course you can always use just one more bag

Leave a comment:

• StephenL
    replied

Originally posted by SteelD View Post
    Obviously that's a man speaking. I've never come across a woman who says she's got enough bags (or shoes)!
    Have you SEEN my (already culled) bag collection??

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Originally posted by StephenL View Post
    Ooh - he does do some nice bags ... NO! I've got ENOUGH bags ....
    Obviously that's a man speaking. I've never come across a woman who says she's got enough bags (or shoes)!

Leave a comment:

• StephenL
    replied

Originally posted by Loup Garou View Post
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Light-big-..._qi=RTM1084479

Same seller that I used. Very reliable. The bag shown is "Yellow" - sand coloured really. I got the green one which may be out of stock now but he says more to arrive soon.
    Ooh - he does do some nice bags ... NO! I've got ENOUGH bags ....

Leave a comment:

• steverh
    replied

The ThinkTank Retrospective 5 will carry quite a lot of m43 kit if needed - body, grip, 2 zooms, a couple of primes, flashgun and odds and ends (not that I've got all that kit yet!)

I bought one at LCE in Bristol after looking at lots of cheaper alternatives and ruling them out for one reason or another. It's very sensibly designed.

It probably wouldn't take water bottles etc but I already have larger bags I could use if I wanted to do that.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• George Dorn
    replied

Eris lives!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

David, the bags aren't large by any means, but the days of the F2 are now gone for me!

The velcro noise adjusters work by reducing the surface available to grip together. When not in use the grab on the outer flap is very firm; there aren't any worries about losing kit personally. A thief would probably find it awkward to pickpocket the bag without making noise when the velcro is in use, unlike clip fasteners.
    Thanks Colin. Sorry for calling you George. When I replied to the post I put in 'Colin' but when reviewing posts while in the middle of creating a post, all the sigs disappear and I could no longer see 'Colin'. I could see George Dorn and started thinking that I was going bananas so I changed your name to George...

Leave a comment:

• George Dorn
    replied

David, the bags aren't large by any means, but the days of the F2 are now gone for me!

The velcro noise adjusters work by reducing the surface available to grip together. When not in use the grab on the outer flap is very firm; there aren't any worries about losing kit personally. A thief would probably find it awkward to pickpocket the bag without making noise when the velcro is in use, unlike clip fasteners.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Thanks Loup. Your bag looks like a good value alternative. I've added it to my list.

Thanks also to George. If I wanted to add a small water bottle, sun block, mobile phone, passport etc., I guess I'm looking at a Retrospective 10 or 20. Do you find the Velcro secure enough to stop things falling out if, for example, the bag falls off a bench?

Leave a comment:

• George Dorn
    replied

I use a Retrospective 5 and find it very reliable. Definitely built to last and has all the pockets in the right places - IMO - and just stiff enough protect the kit. I don't like bags to be too snug, so it's limited to one m4/3 body and a couple of other items. The feature I like are the velcro quieteners on the outer flap!

Plus you look like a different sort of fashion victim

Leave a comment:

• Loup Garou
    replied

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Light-big-..._qi=RTM1084479

Same seller that I used. Very reliable. The bag shown is "Yellow" - sand coloured really. I got the green one which may be out of stock now but he says more to arrive soon.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X