BLM-1 replacement query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: BLM-1 replacement query

I'm not sure but I have three of them and they are fine. Can't see any difference in usage times.

Comment

Originally posted by Invicta View Post
      Great set of replies.

I have two concerns about a third pary battery:

1) The power ouput would lie within the spec of the camera so as not to cause damage.
      No problem. The worse which could happen is that the 3rd party has more power (power = mAh) but that would only result in more images per charge. The is no risk involved at all, quite the opposite, 3rd party usually has less power.

The thing that could demage the camera is if the voltage would be higher, but I think there is no risk for that, since the voltage is easily and automatically controlled during manufacturing.

2) Quality of the cells so that they would be safe to leave charging. Having seen that item on UK TV of the fire damage caused by charging a faulty cell phone battery (was part of recall by a well known mobile phone maker) it makes you think.
      There is ALWAYS a risk involved with batteries. The actual power output, if short circuited, is huge. That's why short circuit protection is important, but even so, you can never be sure. In fact, even the Oly original can be faulty, or the camera, the flash or the grip or whatever you use your batteries in can cause the short circuit. It is also important never to keep loose batteries in your bag or pockets. They should be stored in a plastic holder or at least a plastic bag.

Looks to me like if Oly would cut the price of their branded BLM-1 battey and they would get a massive increase in sales. What about a UK forum discount price?
      Quality warranty has a price, even if it may be made in the same factory. The ones we call 3rd party are probably from the same production line but not passed the QC.

Comment

That looks like a third party battery made by DMS rather than a genuine Oly battery.

Comment

Amazon's Uniross ones are here:

http://tinyurl.com/387c5k

Comment

try here http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-BLM-1-PS-BLM...QQcmdZViewItem

Comment

Originally posted by flying haggis View Post
              http://tinyurl.com/2j2v5s

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Ford View Post
                no Jim the price is for two batteries!

Comment

Originally posted by flying haggis View Post
                  no Jim the price is for two batteries!
                  Whoops - sorry!

Jim

Comment

Following the review posted by Jim I picked the UNiROSS battery as the best replacement. I ordered from Amazon and they arrived today and work fine as expected. The UNiROSS did not come with a plastic cover over the terminals like the original Oly battery has, but you can not expect everything at the price.

Comment

Following the review posted by Jim I picked the UNiROSS battery as the best replacement. I ordered from Amazon and they arrived today and work fine as expected. The UNiROSS did not come with a plastic cover over the terminals like the original Oly battery has, but you can not expect everything at the price.
                      Hey, thats a bit of a shock (excuse the pun).For safety reasons it is essential that the plastic cover is supplied. I have several BLM equivalents and ALL were supplied with the covers, including Uniross.

PeterD

Comment

Well I am shocked too now

I ordered two UNiROSS, neither has a cover, and judging by the shape of the plastic packaging nor did they intend to include one.

Comment

Well I am shocked too now

I ordered two UNiROSS, neither has a cover, and judging by the shape of the plastic packaging nor did they intend to include one.
                          I thought in this day and age that manufacturers understood the risks and took steps to avoid them. Fully charged and loose in the pocket, these batteries can cause a lot of damage - fire risk being one of them. Was there a warning leaflet with these loose batteries?

PeterD

Comment

Who carries batteries loose in their pockets?

If you look at the BLM-1 you'll see that the terminals are recessed, reducing the likelihood of shorting with, say, a coin.

I carry my batteries in a pocket in the camera case.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by PeterD View Post
                              I thought in this day and age that manufacturers understood the risks and took steps to avoid them. Fully charged and loose in the pocket, these batteries can cause a lot of damage - fire risk being one of them. Was there a warning leaflet with these loose batteries?

PeterD
                              Says on the back of the battery:

Do not short-circuit
                              I guess that discharges (lol) their responsibilities.

Maybe I should write a complaint to UNiROSS.

Comment

This site:

http://t5r.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/e1/clonetests.htm

says for the UniRoss:

'An LRD260 polyfuse for protection against short circuits is fitted. This is rated at about 2.6 amps.'

Jim

Comment

Working...
                                X